+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Another one here! I can almost guarantee when dh flies away, dd will get some sort of contagious illness and can't go to daycare. Always happens when my mum is away too so I am having to use all my sick and annual leave on staying at home.
    Dh left today and I'm still up with dd now who is coughing away I guarantee when daddy is home on the weekend she will be 100% well and I will be frazzled!

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Thanks ladies. I'm lucky I've got a great partner helping me through even if he can't be here. He lets me vent if I need to etc.

I didn't mean to make you feel like you were being petty complaining. We all have stress and deal with differently.

On a bright note mine is home tomorrow. He does 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. What do yours do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DH does BIBO, so is always just a 3 hr car ride away if I really need him.

Thankfully I haven't been into any sticky situations as bad as some above. But if DS gets really sick, it's always when DH is away.

DH had just started working away and I was still learning the ropes on my own. He had been home for a very non-eventful week. The day he left I was faced with a mega cane toad, a huntsman, a huge cockroach and a Ghecko (that made its way to my bed!).

I joke a lot now that I'm self sufficient and keep him around just cos he is pretty to look at ;-)

DH works even time, 4, 5, 5, 4

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep they sure do however I've found a fair few of them make for good stories later on though.

Like the time I blew out two back tyres because it takes extra talent to do that
    Or the time DS almost threw up on the student ER doctor because I was making up how sick he was and didn't have better things to do with 4 kids the day before school went back last year than spending several hours in the hospital.

I tend to get sick because of sleep deprivation from caring for the sick kids always when DH is away.

My big advice is trusting your gut instinct about things. For example my gut strongly said don't go visit MIL the time I blew out the back tyres. I had the same recently when I planned to drive to ikea over an hour away. we had a fire jump the highway nearby that day and possibly would have made me not be home in time for the kids from school but I trusted my gut this time and stayed close to home. I found out about the fires a couple of hours later ( the extent of them I had an inkling)

DH works 4 weeks on 1week off. Which is lovely compared to when he started 12 weeks on 4 days off. which then went down to 8 weeks 1 week off then a couple of years back 6 weeks on 1 week off.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, we used to have a car that would get DH to the airport to fly out and then break down somewhere a few KM from home every.single.time! I would get it fixed just in time to pick DH up from the airport a fortnight later and it would run fine the entire time he was home only for the same scenario to happen just after dropping him off again!

Needless to say, I now have a much nicer car and the anxiety of finding the money for massive car payments now - I don't know which was worse! Actually, I do but I still want to whinge

My youngest DD will teethe/catch a random virus/go through a rough patch with her sleeping/fall down the stairs (yes, she did today!)/put her tooth through her lip etc whilst DH is away and then sleep through the night the very first night he is home and every consecutive night until he goes away again.

My big kids get sick or have to be run around here there and everywhere when he is away but all is calm when he comes home.

I get sick when he is away. I had pneumonia earlier this year which only started to get better when he got home. I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and it is only when he is away that it is too painful to do much which means I am rushing around making it worse trying to get the house spotless before he gets home so that he can have a "rest" (hmmm, when do I get one?). I also have chronic insomnia whilst he is away which doesn't help matters at all.

Thankfully, he only works 2/1 so I only get two weeks of frustration at a time!

What I want to know is how does everyone know to schedule the boring "parents are obligated to go" assmeblies/presentations/parent teacher things etc when he is away?

Actually, I'm quite happy with my life - you wouldn't think so looking at this post.

Thanks
    Reviews

It can be a bloody hard life and I take my hat off to you ladies doing it with kids.

Mine was working 3 weeks on 1 week off but is now 4 weeks on 2 weeks off, it's a day of travel each way too.

I've done 4 ivf cycles and had 3 miscarriages while he's been away. Now I've found myself with a high risk pregnancy and if I didn't have my mum to help me to go to my zillion drs appointments I don't know what I would do. It's hard for him too, he misses all the scans.

The simple every day stuff is what's hard. Car breaks down, pets get sick, trying to organize household repairs, even getting everything ready for christmas. I can't imagine doing it with children, especially more than one!

I find it hard too when he comes back it's a month worth of stuff that's happened and I hate bombarding him when he's just gotten home, but it's hard dealing with it all on my own all the time.

There are some great bonuses to FIFO. The money comes in handy and for my partner he's working as an enviro consultant so great career experience for him. We won't do it for too much longer though, it's too hard a lifestyle to maintain.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 23-12-2012 at 01:07.

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews

Well for once something happened while DP has been home lol. I slipped down 2 steps and have torn ligaments in my right ankle so I have a moon boot and crutches. Problem being he's only home til Wednesday and I'm on crutches not allowed to weight bare for at least a week lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Last swing, dishwasher broke, washing machine broke, settlememt on house sale delayed, car got broken into and handbag stolen, online grocery shopping didnt arrive, and my uncle passed away tragically the swing before that....

That said thankfully he was home when I had to take ds to the er on wed night

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Oh and the roof started leaking, so I was on the roOF.in the storm pulling wasp nests out of down pipes

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies! I was just wondering if any of you are part of a FIFO forum or anything? i was just searching and can't seem to find anything thats active.

My DH works 3:1. We have 2 sons who are 2 & 1.

I too have the same issue of, everything falls apart as soon as Daddy boards the flight out of here.. We have only been doing FIFO for a bit over a year, but my word, its exhausting!