+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Ok, I need a sanity check here before I blow my lid.

Is it just me or do the following ONLY EVER seem to happen when DH is away for work (FIFO):

1) Big things break (eg cars, gates, trees fall down)
    2) We get sick,
    3) The weather turns rubbish and makes fixing everything that broke harder, be it heat wave or storms etc.

Seriously I used to think the coincidences were funny and just chance, but now I wonder.

I also am starting to get pretty annoyed at how tough and practical I am having to become. I have been able to fix most things so far, but now that I'm UTD things are a little trickier. It sounds pretty lame, but one thing I liked about the idea of being in a relationship is that I didn't have to be at least semi-proficient in all things in life, we could each have our strengths and weaknesses. I certainly did not expect to be contemplating welding gates and having to dispose of my favourite chook when it died. I certainly did not sign up to be a pregnant lady wielding a chain saw in torrential rain.

Sorry, it's a giant pity party I know, but after a hellish day having the heavy main property gate bust and almost fall on me, and knowing I have to make it safe and stand up again in this heat is about enough to make me flip out entirely. I just wanted to see if there was indeed a pattern for anyone else.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Nope, not just you! The kids are always sick or some emergency happens when hubby is away never when he is home

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

casio1  (10-12-2012)

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default FIFO Partners - why does everything go pear-shaped only when they are away?

Not just you sweets. My partner went back to work today after having 2.5 weeks off looking after me after having to have a d&c at 11weeks due to bub passing away and then winding up back in hospital with a massive infection requiring iv antibiodicts. My daughter as woken several times already poking her ear crying and temp is slightly up so in guessing dr appt tomorrow for ear infection yet again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TrulyBlessed For This Useful Post:

casio1  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TrulyBlessed View Post
    Not just you sweets. My partner went back to work today after having 2.5 weeks off looking after me after having to have a d&c at 11weeks due to bub passing away and then winding up back in hospital with a massive infection requiring iv antibiodicts. My daughter as woken several times already poking her ear crying and temp is slightly up so in guessing dr appt tomorrow for ear infection yet again.
    TurlyBlessed, I am so sorry to hear of your loss and your struggles at the moment.

A broken gate seems petty in comparison. I know for certain you did not intend for your reply to be taken this way, but it was exactly the kick up the pants I needed to stop being a big sook and just deal with it as there are much worse things that could be happening to me so a giant thank you from me! I sincerely hope that things start getting a little easier for you soon.

I am interested to note that there is a pattern though, its not just me. At first I just laughed it off, hey I even got that chainsaw out in the storm with a bit of a wry giggle because I just somehow KNEW it would turn out that way as I was leaving work that day, but the pattern is getting too creepily spot on for words now.

Thank goodness the sun will start going down soon, so I can maybe work in the dusk so it'll be cooler.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep totally agree someone smashed into my car a few days ago hubby was away. Hang in there
    When it rains it bloody pours

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherry18Bloss For This Useful Post:

casio1  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My hubby only goes away 2 days a week but if the car is going to break down or I have a prowler etc.... It always happens when he is away. Your not alone...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

casio1  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am sorry for your loss. I hope your little one gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TrulyBlessed View Post

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel you OP. Whenever mine goes away on long haul something happens. Last time I had to shoot a wild dog and my favourite sheep which had been half-mauled to death by said wild dog. I could've done without any of that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

casio1  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I thought I was going nuts.

Winetime, thats awful, I have have thus far not been able to agree to getting a few pet sheepies for fear of exactly what you describe. Awful.
    I dread the day that a fox or cat finally figures out how to get in with the chooks (DH will be away no doubt).

I had a little cuddle with the gentleman mutt and had a mini snooze just then and woke up feeling much better. The gate will simply just have to wait for Thursday and if it lets go completely (which I'm pretty sure it will, it's hanging by a thread) DH will just have to figure that one out when he's home.

Thanks again for letting me vent and reassuring me I'm not loosing my marbles.

Thanks
    Reviews

Always happens here too. Last swing I ended up in emergency all day with all 3 kids, only to be then sent to PMH. And of course it was right I'm the middle of the swing.