+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Books about Toddlers

Does anyone have any recommendations of any books about toddlers?

I went into motherhood so ill prepared for what to do with a baby, so I want to read up on things like discipline (mainly), feeding, potty training etc.

I've looked at a few books online but they are mostly along the AP lines but I'm after something a bit more general. Eg with discipline I'm ok with using timeouts but against smacking (other than when the child is about to do something dangerous, a tap on the hand is something I think I'd be okay with).

I did see a book called Toddler Taming that looked quite general. Has anyone read this? Is it any good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

The Mighty Toddler by Robin Barker was good

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I frequently refer to The Good Behaviour Book, yes it is Sears and Sears, but they know their stuff and they have raised 8 kids, and they present a range of options.

And you can apparently look at it online; http://browseinside.harpercollins.co...=9780007198245
    Last edited by SPC; 10-12-2012 at 20:13.

Thanks
    Reviews

^^ both those books are great.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the suggestions!! I just read reviews and both sound good, so I might borrow both from the library and see which one I like best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Toddler tactics by pinky McKay has been helpful here. Second robin barker too.

Even borrow a couple of books on educational psychology. It's interesting to see how children evolve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally really didn't like Toddler Taming and the author, Dr Christopher Green has publicly retracted the advice that he gave in that book

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1111114426718

"How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk" which is applicable for toddlers and older children. Following the advice in this book we've honestly never had to "discipline" our daughter. I'm also hanging out for the arrival of the newly released book by my absolute favourite author, Dr Laura Markham, called "Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids". She's definitely in the gentle parenting camp, but not remotely permissive and is so clear, practical and well researched that I'm sure every parent would get a lot from her work. I obviously haven't read her book yet, but having leant so much from her online resources I'm confident that her book will be the only parenting book I'll ever need

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Books about Toddlers

I enjoyed confident toddler care by Jo Frost (supernanny)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I liked "happiest toddler on the block" by Harvey Karp.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Books about Toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    I personally really didn't like Toddler Taming and the author, Dr Christopher Green has publicly retracted the advice that he gave in that book

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1111114426718

"How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk" which is applicable for toddlers and older children. Following the advice in this book we've honestly never had to "discipline" our daughter. I'm also hanging out for the arrival of the newly released book by my absolute favourite author, Dr Laura Markham, called "Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids". She's definitely in the gentle parenting camp, but not remotely permissive and is so clear, practical and well researched that I'm sure every parent would get a lot from her work. I obviously haven't read her book yet, but having leant so much from her online resources I'm confident that her book will be the only parenting book I'll ever need
    Interesting article! Sounds like he has completely re-written it so it might be much better now. The other book you mention sounds good. There's a lot of them out there so I'll definitely need to borrow them all and see which ones I feel more comfortable with.

Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies!