+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 year old suddenly complaining of it being to scary to go to bed??

My 2.2 year old is quiet clever and communicates well. This past week he has been beside himself when it comes to having to go to his bed to sleep. He becomes quiet hysterical and it breaks my heart, he complains of it being to scary and that he is too scared , he wants the light on and for me to stay.
    The first night I stayed with him until he fell asleep the past few nights he has been so upset about having to go to bed but generally goes quiet once I leave him and he sleeps well. Until tonight when he was hysterical again.
    Before this he had been waking every night or two in hysterics to the point where I would almost go in but after 20 minutes he would eventually fall back to sleep and be fine for the rest of the night.
    I was getting concerned about these nights where he would wake in hysterics but as I spend 3 weeks a month on my own with hubby away every month I didn't want my youngest getting into the routine of me coming in , now I'm wondering if he has started having nightmares? I asked him tonight to tell me what he was scared of and he told me it was his cot, I then asked him if he wanted me to throw it out and he can sleep in his big bed and he said no he wants to sleep in his cot with mummy, I then clicked and asked him if he gets scared when he closes his eyes and goes to sleep to which he said yes and got very upset again!
    Has anyone got any experience with this and what I can do!? I have eventually put him into his cot tonight with mummies special pillow and then told him to lie down and that I will be back but I turned the lights out and haven't returned :-( he was hysterical once he realized but calmed down quick enough, right now he is just grizzling every now and then.
    He doesn't watch tv , he always eats health dinners, only drinks water and has been a good sleeper from 10 mths old. Last night he slept 14.5 hours then had a 1hr20 min nap today so he isn't over tired either nor is he not ready for bed as he is clearly exhausted!
    I dunno what to do for my poor little muffin :-(

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 2 year old suddenly complaining of it being to scary to go to bed??

My DS does this every 6 months or so. He is 5 and it still happens.
    I have him a toy that was mine when I was his age and told him it would protect him like mummy does.
    We also had a night light for a month then not till it starts up again.
    I have no idea what causes it but I think it's something to do with him learning so much and the Brain not being able to process it in dreams. Turning it into nightmares.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It sounds like nightmares poor thing.

At that age I gave my son my care bear, it's the 'goodnight bear' and I was given it to help with bad dreams. Worked for me, so I told my son the story and the bear worked. As far as he was concerned, the bear 'kept the bad dreams away'.

When he got older and said the bear wasn't working, I got him a dream catcher which we make a point of 'blowing the bad dreams away' on the first of every month, and it's worked brilliantly.

I think he needs to know that if he's scared, you're there for him. Tell him that the 'bad pictures' he sees when he closes his eyes aren't real and that dreams can't hurt him, but perhaps a 'special' bear would help?

ETA a nightlight or TOMY starlight might help too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    My DS does this every 6 months or so. He is 5 and it still happens.
    I have him a toy that was mine when I was his age and told him it would protect him like mummy does.
    We also had a night light for a month then not till it starts up again.
    I have no idea what causes it but I think it's something to do with him learning so much and the Brain not being able to process it in dreams. Turning it into nightmares.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    It's so sad :-(
    I tried the this was daddies rabbit when daddy was a baby it will look after you. I think I went through the whole soft toy box before he had enough of talking about them!
    Yeah I am thinking a night light will be purchased tomorrow!
    There is not really much else to do is there, I keep trying to think , possibly even putting him into his brothers room but he wasn't interested.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    It sounds like nightmares poor thing.

At that age I gave my son my care bear, it's the 'goodnight bear' and I was given it to help with bad dreams. Worked for me, so I told my son the story and the bear worked. As far as he was concerned, the bear 'kept the bad dreams away'.

When he got older and said the bear wasn't working, I got him a dream catcher which we make a point of 'blowing the bad dreams away' on the first of every month, and it's worked brilliantly.

I think he needs to know that if he's scared, you're there for him. Tell him that the 'bad pictures' he sees when he closes his eyes aren't real and that dreams can't hurt him, but perhaps a 'special' bear would help?

ETA a nightlight or TOMY starlight might help too.
    He has been taking his brothers glow worm to bed for the past few nights but tonight he threw it away and said it wasn't working :-/
    His eldest brother says a dream prayer every night and has been for the past year since he started having nightmares age 6, maybe I should involve my youngest in this process too?! Although I don't think he will understand what we are doing I guess it won't hurt to try.