+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I ripping off my babysitter?

I think considering her age she is probably doing it more for a hobby rather than career, is it cash or an actual wage?

For cash I would do that if I had no other commitments, financial worries and just wanted something to do with my time.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (10-12-2012),shhhsleeping  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I agree with sinlgemumma82, if you are just paying her cash in hand, it's definitely adequate.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    I think considering her age she is probably doing it more for a hobby rather than career, is it cash or an actual wage?

For cash I would do that if I had no other commitments, financial worries and just wanted something to do with my time.
    I will make no admissions on a public forum It is more of a hobby. Her Husband owns a business and from what I can gather her name is tied up in the business, so any employment she gains is taxed at a high rate. She says she saves the cash as a bit of extra spending money for when they go on regular long weekends away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

$75 a day is about the equivalent of a low $20k salary pro-rata isn't it?

It's not a high income, but given the circumstances you have described I don't think it is ripping her off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Am I ripping off my babysitter?

I have done a bit of babysitting this yr and I would get paid $40 a day.. dropped off at 7:30 and picked up at 4.

I would love $150 for 2 days. Lol. I was doing it for friends though so the extra cash was nice but I would have done it for free to help them out anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

If you can afford to pay her $200 cash per week then I would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think $100 for a day is more reasonable. The toddler might sleep a lot, but still needs someone responsible to look after him/her. Cleaners often charge $50 - $60 for 2 hours work and that's cleaning, not looking after children who might get sick, hurt, need feeding, changing, etc.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    If you can afford to pay her $200 cash per week then I would.
    I will be able to afford it next year when I am no longer paying kindy fees for the eldest that will be going to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've heard of cash recipients getting greedy and demanding minimum wage ( forgetting cash is undeclared therefore no tax, no impact on centerlink etc ) and the boss being forced to pay back the difference. Personally if I'm getting cash I look at the minimum then take 30% off ( for tax)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I've heard of cash recipients getting greedy and demanding minimum wage ( forgetting cash is undeclared therefore no tax, no impact on centerlink etc ) and the boss being forced to pay back the difference. Personally if I'm getting cash I look at the minimum then take 30% off ( for tax)
    Looking at it that way.... 30% of min. wage is about $11 per hour for 18 hours = $198. I guess $200 would be fair