+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I ripping off my babysitter?

I have two kids. I pay my babysitter a flat rate of $150 for two days work (18 hours). She only has my eldest for 3 hours before school and my toddler sleeps 4 out of the 9 hours she is there.

No house work or child entertainment required. I leave the house spotless, the children have packed lunchboxes. My children entertain themselves.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews

I think she's on a pretty good wicket. It's 70$ per day for long day care, that's 140$ for 22 hrs usually. So 150$ for 18hrs of sleeping toddler and missing school aged kid is a walk in the park, IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is she? I'm an idiot so I had to use my calculator but does that work out to be about $8 an hour? Depending on her age that might be a bit low? Just in comparison to award wage etc, or even a casual job at maccas or something?
    Does she think you are ripping her off?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmm... That equates to just over $8 per hour. So despite the actual work load (baby sleeping etc) I would say yes. No offense intended but that is my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, it is a job to her and Australian minimum wage is $15.96 an hour. So yes you are ripping her off imo. It doesn't matter how easy you think her job is.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (10-12-2012),Maybelline  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I think she's on a pretty good wicket. It's 70$ per day for long day care, that's 140$ for 22 hrs usually. So 150$ for 18hrs of sleeping toddler and missing school aged kid is a walk in the park, IMO
    But that isn't what the workers are being paid per hour, otherwise the center is running illegally.

Thanks
    Reviews

I retract my opinion then I suppose. I was thinking more in terms of what one pays for child care than award wages and all that stuff

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    How old is she? Does she think you are ripping her off?
    She is 55 with no formal qualifications. She accepted the job knowing the rate up front. But I still feel bad. I was thinking of raising her pay to $200 in the new year. She has worked in my home for 3 months now and is doing a fantastic job .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I have two kids. I pay my babysitter a flat rate of $150 for two days work (18 hours). She only has my eldest for 3 hours before school and my toddler sleeps 4 out of the 9 hours she is there.

No house work or child entertainment required. I leave the house spotless, the children have packed lunchboxes. My children entertain themselves.

What do you think?

If you break it down to an hourly rate it seems quite low, but if she is happy with it then there's no need to question yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    She is 55 with no formal qualifications. She accepted the job knowing the rate up front. But I still feel bad. I was thinking of raising her pay to $200 in the new year. She has worked in my home for 3 months now and is doing a fantastic job .
    I think considering she was happy to do it, she is not being ripped off per se. I do think $150 to look after someone else's children is a very low rate. I think raising her pay to $200 would not only show her you appreciate all she is doing, it might also help you keep her on board long-term.

When I used to babysit I received $50 per hour, but that was different because I only ever did 4 hours at a time max. Personally, I wouldn't have done it for less than that because despite no cleaning etc, the responsibility of someone else's children I find quite stressful (what if there's an accident/someone hurt/being a pain to get to sleep, etc).