+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Iron reserves & baby led weaning question

I've started solids with my 7MO DD - a mix of some fork squished food & other vegies/fruit/meat in strips which she has sucked on/bitten & generally mushed around -swallowing some (guess this is a form of BLW)?! She prefers the latter and generally will only eat a mouthful or two of the squished food I offer with the spoon (if she can put it in her own mouth).

I am totally fine with BLW and would prefer she gets used to self feeding to be honest, but I am a bit confused about how much she 'should' be eating at this age. I have heard that eating before one is for fun....I've also heard that a baby's iron reserves deplete after 6mnths so am not sure if I should be trying to make sure she has enough vitamins through foods other than breastmilk each day or if I can go with the flow and let her swallow however much she wants?

How do others doing BLW do this? Most of the iron fortified foods I know of (ie spinach, potato, beans etc etc. I can't see how you could feed to bubs whole?)

Can anyone give me some advice please? Also any suggestions on breakfasts which are ok at 7MO? And is yoghurt ok yet?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing! I am also under the impression that babies should be getting their nutrition before one from milk - food is just for fun. DS is FF though so be gets iron through that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Yes food before 1 is for leaning so there is no set amounts ( BLW babies will eat until they are full) you will notice by about 9-10 months they start eating a lot more and start naturally drinking less bm/formula

Iron stores generally last at least for the first 6 months up to 12 months (usually) especially in breast fed babies as the iron in breast milk is a lot easier to absorb

The best ways I added iron rich foods to BLW DS were:

Black strap molasses - brush over his veggies before roasting or steaming

Spinach - I added (and still do!) a cube of frozen organic spinach to nearly every meal he eats (eg: curry chicken and rice, pasta, omelettes, frittatas, quiches, fried rice, quinoa, )
    I used to cooked spaghetti and just toss through some ricotta cheese and cooked spinach with a bit of fresh tomato sauce ( messy but he loved it!)

Meat - from 8 months he gummed and sucked all the meat juice from a lamb cutlet , or poached chicken strips

Fish - I make salmon and veggie nuggets or white fish and veggie cakes

Eggs - I make egg pancake (2 egg omelette in small piklet size fry pan) with spinach, tomato, basil and cut into fingers for them to hold

Herbs- fresh and dried herbs are good sources of iron so add them to everything (eggs, pasta, veggies, soups)

Tahini - use as a dip or on toast or rice cakes

Sesame/poppy seeds - add to eggs, breads, fish etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (11-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for the reply Elijahsmum - really great tips!! - can I just ask some dumb questions as I'm feeling my way here....

by nuggets do you mean shredded fish/vegies pushed into small patty then crumbed in something? If so what do you crumb it in to make it all stick together?

and where do you get backstrap molasses? S/market or health food store?

Is 7MO ok for the foods mentioned here?

I'll start introducing all those things...I've also ordered the Gill Rapley books online so hopefully that will provide some ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kathy
    My DD is 8mths and i too worry about iron, she will have a tiny nibble on bits of meat but am always thinking "gee is that enough?" I've been doing meatballs lately and finding its a bit easier for her to hold and eat the mince. Also i do some 'mush' meals where i load the spoon then she feeds herself...not technically BLW but she can eat more this way.

I got the BLW cookbook too and it has some good basic meals/ideas that the whole family can eat.

Thanks elijahs mum - you always have some good ideas!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to YinYang For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kathyp View Post
    Thanks very much for the reply Elijahsmum - really great tips!! - can I just ask some dumb questions as I'm feeling my way here....

by nuggets do you mean shredded fish/vegies pushed into small patty then crumbed in something? If so what do you crumb it in to make it all stick together?

and where do you get backstrap molasses? S/market or health food store?

Is 7MO ok for the foods mentioned here?

I'll start introducing all those things...I've also ordered the Gill Rapley books online so hopefully that will provide some ideas!
    Yes 7 months is fine - I get black strap molasses from my organic shop but most health food shops have it as well

I make my nuggets or fish cakes usually with a mix of veggies, chia seeds, fish or meat , 1 egg and some rice crumbs, make into nugget/cake/croquette shapes and roll again in rice crumbs and lightly fry in a little olive oil , I use chicken or beef or lamb mince or cooked flaked fish or crab

Salmon nuggets : mix all into a bowl:
    1/2 piece cooked salmon fillet flaked,
    1/2 grated zucchini
    4 steamed broccoli heads chopped
    1/4 cup cooked peas
    1/4 cup cooked corn
    1 clove grated garlic
    Chopped herbs (usually coriander)
    Tablespoon of chia or poppy seeds
    1 egg
    1/2 cup rice crumbs or cooked quinoa

Mix and roll into shapes and roll again in rice crumbs, fry in a little olive oil , makes about 20 ( easy to freeze)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (15-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks again for taking the time to reply - ill give all this a go.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
    Hi kathy
    My DD is 8mths and i too worry about iron, she will have a tiny nibble on bits of meat but am always thinking "gee is that enough?" I've been doing meatballs lately and finding its a bit easier for her to hold and eat the mince. Also i do some 'mush' meals where i load the spoon then she feeds herself...not technically BLW but she can eat more this way.

I got the BLW cookbook too and it has some good basic meals/ideas that the whole family can eat.

Thanks elijahs mum - you always have some good ideas!
    Thanks Yin Yang I'll try those meatballs and loading a spoon every now and then....great idea. Also saw your journey to conceive in your sig - WOW!!!!!!!! You must feel on top of the world with your new bub - that is SOOO fantastic. I went through one cycle and it takes so much out of you. A big congratulations to you!