+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sassy with the evenings is there a friend from school who might help out even just one evening a week? That's what we do at DD1's school - some of the kids whose parents can't get out of work but have no family to depend on get help from other parents. So long as you reciprocate occasionally most people are happy to help I've found. It would help save some money.

Otherwise findababysitter is a great service, or you could put an ad on one of the university websites and you might find a student who is local and has availability.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: Regular childcare provider for Saturdays and later nights?

Definately look into family daycare. A friend from school perhaps too? I pay a school mum to watch DS some nights and occassionally on the weekend .

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would consider a Nanny. The advantage is that your child will be at home and will be fed and can be bathed & put in bed before you get home if you are working til 8pm. In answer to your question in the OP yes, Nanny agencies can cope with requests for part of the day, weekends, evenings and unusual type hours. Speak to the agencies in your area and see what they offer exactly.

Although Nannies are more expensive than Au Pairs or Babysitters you are looking for someone who is reliable and able to look after your child when you are not in the house/nearby/etc. You need someone who is good with children, appropriately screened, qualified with first aid and preferably someone with some qualifications for looking after children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention in the OP that there are no family daycare services available here that will go to my daughter's school. I know, PITA. I already tried there a while back and they said they'd let me know if they got a carer who was willing to go to her school. None as yet.

I don't actually know anybody here who could look after her. I sort of know some school mothers, but not enough to ask that of them and most of them work as well. How do you ask someone of that?

I mostly just want someone to be here, and to pick DD up from school/daycare. That's really all I need... maybe feed her on weekends and late evenings, but I'll leave food here for them to just grab and reheat or whatever. No real effort... she can occupy herself fairly well.

Do you think a teenager might be up for something like this? If I can find a trustworthy one all they have to do is be here really...

I'll only be working part-time too, so it's not as if DD is going to be all but abandoned. She'll be fine. I've stayed home with her for many many years... it's about time I did something for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    Sounds like great advice....
    But I think that you should really think before you make any definite decisions your DH is going to be away for 3 weeks at a time so she won't have him around as much and she will be trying to adjust to that ten your going to be working long hours at times also so she will be missing out with you ....money will defiantly NOT be an issue ....is it really going to be worth her missing out on so much with both of you....??
    Just my opinion ....
    I have to agree with this. You're already working and she's at school... I really think you need to find a job that suits those hours (even if that means working later than school hours.... but I personally think being at school all day every day then in before and after school care is too much for her to be in childcare/out of parents care on weekends as well.

Again... just my opinion. If she wasn't at school then at least you'd have other time to fit around but she has to go to school. I don't think it's worth missing out... you can't get that time back with your kids. When they're older you can pursue the hours that you want to work.

Sorry I just can't fathom not spending much time with my children. I'd want at least 2 full days a week with them... especially if I could afford to not work weekends while they were at school

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Regular childcare provider for Saturdays and later nights?

Of coarse its time you did something for yourself.

If you dont know school mums def try for a teenager(maybe one studying at uni who just wants extra cash).

Its hard. I have DS using before and after school care most days. I also work weekends if i can as its better money. Heck, i am even working christmas day so wont get to spend the whole day with him. Will only see him about 4hrs total on christmas day.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Regular childcare provider for Saturdays and later nights?

Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    Sounds like great advice....
    But I think that you should really think before you make any definite decisions your DH is going to be away for 3 weeks at a time so she won't have him around as much and she will be trying to adjust to that ten your going to be working long hours at times also so she will be missing out with you ....money will defiantly NOT be an issue ....is it really going to be worth her missing out on so much with both of you....??
    Just my opinion ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I have to agree with this. You're already working and she's at school... I really think you need to find a job that suits those hours (even if that means working later than school hours.... but I personally think being at school all day every day then in before and after school care is too much for her to be in childcare/out of parents care on weekends as well.

Again... just my opinion. If she wasn't at school then at least you'd have other time to fit around but she has to go to school. I don't think it's worth missing out... you can't get that time back with your kids. When they're older you can pursue the hours that you want to work.

Sorry I just can't fathom not spending much time with my children. I'd want at least 2 full days a week with them... especially if I could afford to not work weekends while they were at school
    Ummm. Sassy did say in her OP that working later was going to happen on SOME nights, not all.
    Sassy, with my first DD when she was in kindy through to about year two, she went to before and after school care for 5 days a week because I worked. Did I need to work? Yes, I did. Did I need to work 5 days? Maybe not financially, but career wise, yes, I did. Doing that has allowed to me to gain valuable experience and lead to the job I have now. The job I have now is much higher pay and more flexible hours. DD didn't mind going to care, in fact she had a ball playing and chilling out with other kids.

You totally deserve to have a career and a job you want, who knows what it may lead to.

Have you looked at gumtree for your area? Lots of people advertise sitting services there. A uni student may well jump at what you are offering too

Good luck with the new job!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (10-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (10-12-2012),PomPoms  (10-12-2012),SassyMummy  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My job is one I only JUST scored. I start training tomorrow... I'm about 2 weeks away from finishing my course. Since the end of January she's been in before/after school care Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

In my chosen industry, there is pretty much no such thing as "not working Saturday," unless you run your own business and eff that. I want to work in a spa, not a salon, and I certainly cannot run a mobile day spa. lol.

I'm 26, with pretty much no previous work experience... I'm VERY VERY lucky to have been given the job I have. There is no way I'm not doing it.

It will be part-time, at least for a while. It will mean that yes, Saturdays I am not at home. I will be home Sundays, and I will not be working every night either. If I do work until 8pm, it will only be once or twice a week at most.

I will get more picky as I gain experience, but right now, I'm a newbie to the industry... I take what I can get!

I was studying beauty when I fell pregnant in 2004. In 2012 I went back to re-do and add to my qualifications in the same industry... I'm not about to stop AGAIN!

While I appreciate some don't agree with this decision, it was not something I requested opinions on. I wanted help with finding someone to care for my daughter during the periods when I will be working.

Thanks to those of you who have offered suggestions. I might see if I can find a uni student or something who might be willing. I don't have the room for an au pair and I actually can't stand the idea of someone random living in my house...

I might call up daycare again just to see if anything's changed there as well... you never know, they might have just not called me.

Thanks!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (10-12-2012),HugsBunny  (10-12-2012),PomPoms  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely try Gumtree for a mothers helper or nanny. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The new job sounds fantastic! Well done, you must have really impressed.

I'm sure you'll find suitable arrangements for your daughter. Best of luck x