+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Regular childcare provider for Saturdays and later nights?

Okay, so DD is in school, so I don't need daycare services all day long... and right now I just use before and after school care.

Thing is, my new job will possibly have me working until 6 some nights, 8 others, and on Saturdays. FOR NOW that is fine... because DP is here to pick up the slack. He's been offered a job in the new year at the mines though... 3 weeks on, 1 week off... meaning that all this relying on him to help is pretty much gonna cease.

Family are not really an option. I might be able to organise for Mum to help out on Saturdays, but that will mean a 70/80km trip to her place on Friday night and back... and the same again the next day... so it's not going to be terribly economical.

Given DP will be at hte mines though, he's already learnt what his pay will be like, and it'll be pretty decent. It means I should be able to hire someone (a nanny?) to help out... but can you? Can you say "I'll need you every Saturday... after after about 6pm on SOME nights a week... I'll just have to tell you when?" Is that even possible to do? Or I suppose I could just have her pick DD straight up from school I guess... but still, it'll be different working hours every week.

Look, I know I don't HAVE to work if DP earns as much as he will... but I want to. I've been studying to get this job, I got a job that is much more prestigious than I had expected straight out of college... so I want it. I am over sitting around doing sweet F-A. I want to work, and I want THIS job.

So... is there a way to do this? Can you hire Nannies or babysitters or whatever to deal with these hours? I guess a uni-student might be interested? I have no idea, but I'm a bit worried and want to sort it out ASAP!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Look in to family day care sass. Some carers work extended hours and you should be able to get some CCB and CCR for it whereas if you were just to pay a sitter, you wouldn't get any rebates etc.

Oh and congrats on the job!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Have a look at the website findababysitter.com.
    I have previously use a girl who was studying nursing from that site and can highly recommend.
    Hiring an occasional babysitter is expensive per hour so I would work out how much your willing to spend and find someone who wants the regularity.
    There is also at home day cares that provide Saturday services so you would receive the 50% rebate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I was going to suggest family daycare as well. My friends mother use to do it and see had kids at all different times. She would pick them up from school, have some overnight, some on the weekends, etc.. Might be worth looking into?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends and I use two local high school students. They are responsible and trustworthy and the kids love them. Most weekends they are busy as we all book them up well in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Just had another thought..I don't know if it's available where you are but there is a company here that does in home daycare where ccb and ccr apply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have the room, I would suggest an au pair. You can organise a schedule around your work and you only have provide room/boarding and maybe $200-$300 per week. However this isn't covered by CCB or CCR.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    Have a look at the website findababysitter.com.
    I have previously use a girl who was studying nursing from that site and can highly recommend.
    Hiring an occasional babysitter is expensive per hour so I would work out how much your willing to spend and find someone who wants the regularity.
    There is also at home day cares that provide Saturday services so you would receive the 50% rebate.
    Sounds like great advice....
    But I think that you should really think before you make any definite decisions your DH is going to be away for 3 weeks at a time so she won't have him around as much and she will be trying to adjust to that ten your going to be working long hours at times also so she will be missing out with you ....money will defiantly NOT be an issue ....is it really going to be worth her missing out on so much with both of you....??
    Just my opinion ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could talk to Charlton Brown they are an agency

Good luck! Congratulations on getting the job!!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    Sounds like great advice....
    But I think that you should really think before you make any definite decisions your DH is going to be away for 3 weeks at a time so she won't have him around as much and she will be trying to adjust to that ten your going to be working long hours at times also so she will be missing out with you ....money will defiantly NOT be an issue ....is it really going to be worth her missing out on so much with both of you....??
    Just my opinion ....
    Fairly certain Sass already covered this in her OP.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (10-12-2012),PomPoms  (10-12-2012)