+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0

    Default Help! very low anti mullerian hormone

    I just got my blood tests back and the anti mullerian is very low at 1.6 I'm 38 and half..please anybody tell what I should do now.... My doctor was uncaring and was blabbing on about alternative therapies... what doe sthis figure really mean..She said most doctors would just give up...

    I posted here as I would think IVF people or posters would know a bit more...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    Hi Tess,

    The AMH test gives some measure of your ovarian reserve (how many eggs you've got) and the range of values is age dependent, so they'd be a reference range for women in their 20s, 30s or 40s etc. In general, the lower the number the lower your reserve is. It doesn't really give information about the quality of the eggs however.

    I'm not sure where you are in your fertility work up or if you've had any treatment e.g. ivf. Is your "doctor" a fertility specialist? If you were willing to go down the ivf road, I think the real test of ovarian reserve is to see how your ovaries respond to the ivf meds. The dose can be adjusted depending on how your ovarian follicles grow.

    I've noticed quite a few women here have a low AMH but have still gone on to have babies.


    Best of luck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful40 View Post
    Hi Tess,

    The AMH test gives some measure of your ovarian reserve (how many eggs you've got) and the range of values is age dependent, so they'd be a reference range for women in their 20s, 30s or 40s etc. In general, the lower the number the lower your reserve is. It doesn't really give information about the quality of the eggs however.

    I'm not sure where you are in your fertility work up or if you've had any treatment e.g. ivf. Is your "doctor" a fertility specialist? If you were willing to go down the ivf road, I think the real test of ovarian reserve is to see how your ovaries respond to the ivf meds. The dose can be adjusted depending on how your ovarian follicles grow.

    I've noticed quite a few women here have a low AMH but have still gone on to have babies.


    Best of luck


    I would be willing but am just gobsmacked it could be that low....My fsh levels are 6 and have come back at 6 both at 21 and 3 day cycle..This woman does specialise in it but suggested I see a herbalist...WTF??? bagged IVF saying huge failure rate...My sister had IVF at 40 and she had heaps of eggs left apparently....I know it would be bad but not that bad... I am just in shock...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked
    106
    Reviews
    0
    tessjs

    It's such a shock being told results like that. I have a low AMH in that range. My FS gave us 6 months to try on our own before suggesting we return to see him and go straight to IVF. We had our first IVF cycle (antagonist) in March this year when I was 36.

    We ended up with 6 eggs, 3 fertilised and they were all very promising embryos. We're expecting our baby boy on Boxing Day, he was the first transfer.

    Best of luck with your journey. I was in the mindset where I was willing to try whatever it took and if it had to be straight to IVF then so be it.

    Take care

    XXX

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by romaverona View Post
    tessjs

    It's such a shock being told results like that. I have a low AMH in that range. My FS gave us 6 months to try on our own before suggesting we return to see him and go straight to IVF. We had our first IVF cycle (antagonist) in March this year when I was 36.

    We ended up with 6 eggs, 3 fertilised and they were all very promising embryos. We're expecting our baby boy on Boxing Day, he was the first transfer.

    Best of luck with your journey. I was in the mindset where I was willing to try whatever it took and if it had to be straight to IVF then so be it.

    Take care

    XXX


    Thankyou for telling me your story..why did he say try for six on your own why didn't you go straight to IVF if you don't mind me asking....did the FT say you had no chance what did the FT say?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked
    106
    Reviews
    0
    Hi tess

    The low AMH was the only abnormality in my and DH's investigations. I'd managed to get pregnant naturally it's just that unfortunately it was an ectopic. I went to see my FS because of my age at that point.

    In the 6 months we went off to try on our own, I got pregnant again but had a miscarriage early and needed a D&C. Then I had an incomplete after that which resolved on its own.

    It took over 6 months for all of that to resolve so when I went back to my FS we were all pretty much ready to get straight into IVF.

    Hope this background clarifies what my situation has been.

    XXX

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by romaverona View Post
    Hi tess

    The low AMH was the only abnormality in my and DH's investigations. I'd managed to get pregnant naturally it's just that unfortunately it was an ectopic. I went to see my FS because of my age at that point.

    In the 6 months we went off to try on our own, I got pregnant again but had a miscarriage early and needed a D&C. Then I had an incomplete after that which resolved on its own.

    It took over 6 months for all of that to resolve so when I went back to my FS we were all pretty much ready to get straight into IVF.

    Hope this background clarifies what my situation has been.

    XXX

    oh i'm sorry you went through such a hard time.wow i can't believe how difficult it can be....i am just so confused sbout what to do i guess at least i have the FS appoint next tuesday.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked
    106
    Reviews
    0

    Default Help! very low anti mullerian hormone

    Tests, no worries..

    Just go in with an open mind next week. Most FS will be able to give you time lines for how long to TTC on your own, when to try AC and what options you have. I found being told things like how for us 6 months of IVF cycling was when I would be most likely to fall pregnant helpful in setting limits to the duration of my treatment. I couldn't see myself as someone storing enough to keep going for years.

    Best of luck..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    49
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Help! very low anti mullerian hormone

    Don't believe every test... Mine was 1.5 at 27.
    I'm 29 now and 8 on this pregnant

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Goanaspaner View Post
    Don't believe every test... Mine was 1.5 at 27.
    I'm 29 now and 8 on this pregnant
    Congrats on your pregnancy but I'm 38 I'm sure your eggs are alot younger and in good condition.. at 29... i wish you the best and hope for a miracle for me....


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone else with anti c anti bodies????
    By Winterbubs1012 in forum Pregnancy Health Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-08-2012, 15:38
  2. Growth hormone???
    By reco in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-02-2012, 20:17
  3. TTC - Clomid and Hormone Shots
    By SmurfyLiz in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 20:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Cots on Bubhub
Looking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery shops
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!