+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Donors' rights

I'm watching the today show and they interviewed a man that was a sperm donor pre 1988. He is asking that the laws be changed so that donors have the right to meet the children that they helped create. I haven't been on either side, but I would think that when someone chooses to donate, they are going into it knowing their rights and responsibilities end when they donate and that it's not fair for this man to now pipe up and want something to with these now adults.

What does everyone else think?

I'll find the link for this story and post it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a friend going through a donor sperm agency atm.

I think the fathers should be able to put through a request to meet with their offspring, but I think the meeting should be mutual, and the offspring has the right to deny this meeting. I think it should also be the same the other way around- the children should be able to put through a request to meet their donors but the donor has the right to deny this request.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I saw it too OP and it made me uncomfortable - especially how he kept referring to the children as 'my children'. He chose to donate and agreed not to contact the children.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Donors' rights

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilicious View Post
    I saw it too OP and it made me uncomfortable - especially how he kept referring to the children as 'my children'. He chose to donate and agreed not to contact the children.
    I found that weird too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by lolly137; 17-09-2015 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps just having an option available where the donor can say when they donate that they are either happy to be contacted in the future, or dont want to be. And then the decision can be made by the resulting child when they come of a certain age?

It seems a bit cheeky to choose to donate your sperm, knowingly forego parental rights and responsibilities, contribute nothing financially or emotionally and then come in later to try and have a relationship with the child or adult.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-12-2012),kymmie  (31-12-2012),Mod-Degrassi  (10-12-2012),TnA  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the other hand, many doner fathers do not want to be contacted, and (I believe) new legislation says that a child can access information of their biological parent. I think this has put a lot of men off donating sperm. My hubby really wanted to donate sperm to assist people to have a family, but didn't as he didnt want the complication of possibly being contacted in later life, he didn't want to know what, if anything, had been done with his donation IYKWIM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    On the other hand, many doner fathers do not want to be contacted, and (I believe) new legislation says that a child can access information of their biological parent. I think this has put a lot of men off donating sperm. My hubby really wanted to donate sperm to assist people to have a family, but didn't as he didnt want the complication of possibly being contacted in later life, he didn't want to know what, if anything, had been done with his donation IYKWIM.
    Yes, there is a shortage of donors now for this reason. Most men don't want to be contacted later on. They don't want some random people coming up to them later in life who might have expectations that they do not want to fulfill.

I think its fair in a way because the kids will probably be curious and want to know about their biological parent at some point, the same as a kid who is adopted, but I can see the other side as well. It puts men off donating and makes it harder for parents who can't conceive without donor sperm.

In regards to the OP, I think this man is being very unreasonable. He knew what he was doing and he has no right to suddenly decide he wants to be a parent to these people. They are not 'his children' as far as I'm concerned. Donating sperm does not make you a parent.
    Meetings should be able to be arranged where both parties want it, but this man has no right to be given contact information for people who don't even know who he is.