+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy with back problems !

Hi guys (mods im not sure if this is in the right spot)

Just wondering if anyone has been through pregnancy and labour with back problems? i have a disc protusion in my back which is permament but well managed through exercise and change of habits ie bending etc. I have had very few problems with this disc since i was diagnosed.

I am trying to decide whether to go for baby number 3, I already have a girl and boy pre back injury.

Have spoken to obs, surgeons and physios to get some advice on whether pregnancy will be impossible with this issue or if i will be ok. Had conflicting advice so not sure what to do ! has anyone else been through pregnancy and labour with back issues and been ok? while i desperately want another baby I am so scared of making my back worse !

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!
    I haven't been through it that bad, other than the normal type of back pain that comes with pregnancy and after birth. Did your physio give you a belt or something to help with ur back pain last time? I went and got a belt from mamaway which i used after my pregnancy with my son, but i think they do one for during pregnancy too. maybe you could find a good belt to give you support? How old is your 2nd bubba? is ur back still really painful now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Pregnancy with back problems !

Yup, I have three bulging discs from a serioups car accident and a bunch of muscle issues around them. They have occasionally leant good and hard on my sciatic nerves which isnt friendly and Ive ended up in bed for a couple of months unable to feel my feet

Pregnancy itself was ok, I saw a physio a lot though but that mostly cos I have bugger all core stability due to hypermobility. I ended up with severe SPD too :-( Anyway, there are some awesome vest things you can get (figure8 maternity in the states was sooooo much cheaper than here), will find their name for you if you like, they help support your tummy and stop all the weight just being low down.

My biggest problem ended up being labour. My back went into spasm, so the 'breaks' between contractions were way worse than the contractions themselves. I had a water birth though, and the bath helped a lot.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnancy with back problems !

I have back problems, a scoliosis and arthritis in some of the disks. My pregnancy was actually the least pain I've ever had with my back for some strange reason! My labour pain was all in my back, even though bub wasn't posterior.. Actually the most I've suffered is since bub has been born, since my core is even weaker than it was, I have had my back muscles go into fatigue and be very painful, from constantly picking her up and carrying her around. But I wouldn't let it stop me having another baby. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys thanks for the replies, my oldest is now 6 and my youngest 3.5 years. My signature is a bit old ! LOL

Misse112 I didnt have the back injury back then that I know of so was fine during pregnancy besides the normal back aches. Nope my back isnt painful at all, very strange as even when I had the MRI and it showed some nerve compression my nerve symptoms were different to others - felt like a piece of string pulling through my butt and leg rather than pain. Even the back pain didnt really bother me much more of an annoyance. So i am yet to feel extreme pain from it at all and havent really had pain since I had the MRI, more muscular pain these days as Im using different muscles.

Its just the fear of making it worse and ending up like alot of the people I read about with these issues that scares me, and being in so much pain I cant enjoy a new baby.

Jeez unable to feel your feet sounds awful !!!!!!!!

I have had a few people with the same issues say the same thing that pregnancy was the best they felt ! So at the moemnt Im thinking I will bite the bullet, keep doing my exercises and core work and hope for the best LOL

Thank you all xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely recommend that you work on your core (Esp your obliques) and pelvic floor before, during and post pregnancy. Even if you are not experiencing symptoms I would visit your physio for additional care. Remember birthing positions that will put less stress on your lumbar spine.
    Im a Chiro and in my opinion if you work on your function and stability (rather than strength) you will have a better outcome.
    Hope this help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Healthybee View Post
    I would definitely recommend that you work on your core (Esp your obliques) and pelvic floor before, during and post pregnancy. Even if you are not experiencing symptoms I would visit your physio for additional care. Remember birthing positions that will put less stress on your lumbar spine.
    Im a Chiro and in my opinion if you work on your function and stability (rather than strength) you will have a better outcome.
    Hope this help!
    Thank you I have been doing one on one core work with a physio and pilates for the last 8 months so getting much stronger !