+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Using pencils, crayons and chalk to draw/colour?

Hi everyone, just wondering at what ages your LO's started to draw? Our DD is 15 months and still prefers to put pencil/crayon to mouth not paper!! Just wondering when your LO's started showing more of an understanding for that sort of thing?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Using pencils, crayons and chalk to draw/colour?

Dd loves to draw, she is 18mths and understands what drawing a circle is (obviously its a scribble of a circle and she just keeps going round an round saying circle lol) but she still puts them in her mouth too

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DS is 19 months and likes to scribble, not really draw but he can draw imperfect circles! :P I think he started maybe eating them less at your DDs age, what about trying a magna doodle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO is 17mths and worked out drawing about 14/15mths - but I think having it modelled all the time by his siblings certainly helps. He will still put the pencil in his mouth too. I have stuck with pencils so far, he eats crayons too much..and would def eat chalk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 17mo, 15.5 if you consider he was prem. Have done about 4 drawing sessions with crayons, and this last time (yesterday) he actually put the crayons and textas on the paper more than in his mouth. He suddenly twigged after watching us write with pens that the paper is where they go. Easier with thick cardboard on a tray than just paper. I was impressed (I'm easily impressed!) that he didn't scribble, so much as 'dab' the paper in various spots rhythmically all over it. Unfortunately, the crayons hold great mouth appeal though, as they have good texture for chewing, dammit. Am thinking of buying an Aqua-doodle, or the cheap rip-off Kmart version.

Thanks
    Reviews

DS stopped chewing and started drawing at about 14mths, but I'd say that's because he is always watching dd drawing.

Because of the very chewable texture of crayons we switched to twistable crayons, still easy to wash off after 'accidents' but not do much to eat!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think DD was around 18 months maybe a little but younger - I agree with others that she was all about putting them in her mouth and then something clicked and suddenly she loved to draw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by bub4rosie View Post
    I think DD was around 18 months maybe a little but younger - I agree with others that she was all about putting them in her mouth and then something clicked and suddenly she loved to draw.
    This was us with dd1.