+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting formula

I'll be giving my bub formula for the fist time tomorrow. I'm abut nervous just coz have been going so well with breastfeeding, but am returning to work soon so need to make the switch. How did everyone cope? I feel like I need to be reassured I'm doing the right thing, just feel guilty for swapping over, but needs to be done. Can formula be served at room temp or best to have it warm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Starting formula

My bub has been FF since 4 weeks due to numerous BF issues which I won't bother going into!

I am well and truly over the guilt now my DS is almost six months and is thriving and has never been sick (my main worry was for his immune system), so we have been really lucky and happy with our decision.

We use Bellamy's Organic and serve it at room temp which I find sooo much easier when out and about!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting formula

Thanx. I forgot to mention DS is 3and half months.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I generally express once at work, and my baby gets by on whatever that is at daycare and then catches up at home. I would feed her on the train on the way in and home, and just use a simple hand pump. She went into daycare at 4 months, 3 days a week. But sometimes I'm too busy, or plain forget to express. When she was small I always had a spare bottle of ebm in the freezer at daycare, but these days she justs gets by on apple purée or rice milk, (she can't have dairy). I find the biggest issue is my boobs getting uncomfortable, but I have been lucky and not had any issues with blocked ducts or mastitis. Are you planning to wean abruptly or to mixed feed? I think most babies are quite flexible and will do either.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting formula

I'm planning to mix feed for awhile. Breastfeed in the morning and night when I'm home so he still gets breastmilk. So I don't have to be so strict with timing either? So if I skip a whole day with no formula, just breast that's ok too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting formula

If you can bf for a whole day it's fine to skip the ff. although I also had lots of bf issues so I'm definitely no expert- but it may mess with your supply(?) once you start ff.

Formula at room temp is fine especially on hot days you'll probably find they prefer it. (Sometimes it takes a while to find a formula that suits your bub, just stick to each for a week or so to be sure how they're going with it)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 3 months your supply is well established and you can probably be very flexible without it impacting on your supply, (the doom and gloom abut never supplementing is really aimed at under six weeks). My older child never ever took a bottle, and just caught up at night, and i only expressed during the day for comfort, as there was no point expresing to have her spit it at the daycarers. Your breasts are generally 80% full again within an hour of feeds, so they just feed more frequently at night if they are having big gaos during the day. The most likely problem is getting blocked ducts or just plain uncomfortable from engorgement. I find having a small hand pump and containers handy. But many women will just hand express down the sink! Guidelines for how long ebm can stay out of the fridge in a cool bag vary depending on who you ask. I have a really small cool bag and ice pack that all fits in my change bag and carry it sparond all day and dont refridgerate it until i get to daycare. It's a living fluid and can kill bacteria as they grow, so bacteria counts actually drop in stored milk, and you can store in in the fridge for ages, the freezer for up to six months. And you can mix ebm with formula in a bottle. It's really just a case of try it and see how you and your baby feel about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting formula

So I'm feeding DS only once a day with formula for a few days (did it at bout 830 this morning- he had his early morning breastfeed at 6am). He didn't take to it at all only had not even 10ml but may have been coz he was crying for a feed just before I offered the bottle, and also coz probably tasted different. So by only feeding him slowly its more for my breasts benefit than for bub to get used to formula? Is that right? Should I keep persisting with this formula?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting formula

So I'm feeding DS only once a day with formula for a few days (did it at bout 830 this morning- he had his early morning breastfeed at 6am). He didn't take to it at all only had not even 10ml but may have been coz he was crying for a feed just before I offered the bottle, and also coz probably tasted different. So by only feeding him slowly its more for my breasts benefit than for bub to get used to formula? Is that right? Should I keep persisting with this formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he used to bottles? It might be the bottles or the formula. You might want to try breastmilk in a bottle first. But your range of options is; different formulas in a bottle, ebm in a bottle or no bottles at all. Depending on your carer you could cup feed instead. Some babies go into daycare and never have bottles. But a lot of daycare centers like babies to feed themselves with a bottle as early as they can so they don't have to sit there and feed them. It was a bit a shock the first time I walked in to see my daughter in a bouncy chair with a bottle, but she's perfectly happy with that. Different formulas taste different, and some babies are fussier than others. And some bottles are easier to drink from than others. In my experience breastfed babies tend not to warm to harder silicone teats like avent, but prefer very soft ones like tommee tippee. Then there are the fancy medela ones and Dr brown, which seem to be fiddly to clean, but have valves that may be a moe familiar experience for some babies.