+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can your 4yo write?

DD is 4 in about 3 weeks and she cant write at all. Her 4 year old(and 1 3.5yo) friends can write their names.

ive been reading and it say most kids can writetheir name before they start kindy.

Should i be worried?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I wouldn't worry too much. Children learn at their own speed and your DD will get there when she's ready. As a prep teacher you do see a few that can't write their name when they start school but they all can eventually :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD can only just write her name and sometimes mixes her letters up 'Ava' so I would t worry I think the only reason she can is because I put her in pre prep 6 months early ( they had the space avalible now) is she already in daycare or Kindy? Once she starts Kindy it will happen so quick!! Ava couldn't write her name or anything else before she went. DD is 4 on Friday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No idea on the worried part as i am too.

DS1 is 5 in April and cant write his name. Out of the 24kids in his class his was one of the only ones whose 'name' was unrecognisable. He can pick some of the letters. The first letter is the only one he can write. He is in prep next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine turns 5 soon and only learned to write his name in the last 6-8 months or so. I wouldn't be too worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 is 4.5 and she can "write" some letters of the alphabet with her finger but put an actual pencil in her hand and she almost strangles it they way she grips it. She can write the letter R (which is the first letter of her name) but most other letters are not recognisable. She is also terrible at colouring in and at drawing, whereas most of her friends can write their own names and they can colour between the lines and draw recognisable stick figures and houses.

I'm not concerned at all. I figure once she can hold the pencil properly she will have more control and learn to write.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't be concerned some kids find writing, drawing, colouring fun, that's probably why they do it sooner then others.
    When my dd started prep there were a few kids who didn't know how to write their name, it all falls into place quite quickly though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Can your 4yo write?

Ds started prep thIs year at 4.5 and would refuse to write his name by half way through the term he could easily write his first and last name.don't panic some kids pick it up a lot quicker then others.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. She loves to colour but shes just scribles all over the picture. She can draw very good 'people' though and enjoys doing that.

Thanks, ill try not to worry myself. I have started introducing the letter S, the first letter of her name but she seems to do it backwards. We'll see though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds who is 3 and a half can't even hold a pencil properly or even draw a line no matter how much I try and show him. Yet my little 2 yr old can hold a pencil and draw a circle. dont stress