+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *spin off* what nice/awesome thing has a teacher done for you?

From the bad teacher thread, what awesome thing has a teacher done for you??

Mine...when I was in year 12, one of my teachers made me go to her house every weekend and work on my hsc drama project.
    I grew up on a farm and I used to have to do all the housework (cooking, cleaning etc) and Work on the farm as well. As a result I never had time to do my school work. We still talk occasionally and she is the reason I survived high school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    OMG so many things.

The principal of my kids school overheard me saying my washing machine was broken and I couldn't get it fixed as I was broke. She politely pulled me aside and said her hubby could not only fix my machine for free but they would lend me one while I waited.

After Yasi we were one of the last suburbs to get our power back (over 2 weeks). So the home ec teacher and her class made our family their dinner every night for a week.

Than there were the teachers that helped us through to special need diagnoses. The support teacher that spends extra time with my kid. She just last week colour coded all ds books and folders for all his different subject for high school next year free of charge.

Offered to take the kids to and from school when I was sick.

And so much more

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum died about 2 months after I finished year 12 and word got around the teacher about it because my friends mum worked in the text book lending room. One of my former teachers called me to offer her condolences, I was very touched.

Thanks for starting this thread KKP, I was starting to feel like the other thread was painting a bad picture of teachers, when there are really so many wonderful teachers out there.

Thanks
    Reviews

My primary principal used to pick roses from his garden to give to me and other kids who loved in our street

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was always fabulous at English as a subject, but this one term, I just didn't bother doing my assignment until last minute, and did a really really half-a*sed job. Instead of just giving me a bad mark (it would have been lower than a C), he let me do it over again. It was a "humour" subject, and the subject matter he had chosen was not at all humorous in my eyes, so he let me pick my own. I then got an A for it. It was really nice of him to do that for me. He didn't have to.

ETA:

It wasn't a big thing, but the other day a teacher came to talk to me. When DD was in prep, she was advanced so she'd go visit this teacher and spend a few lessons a week in her class. This year, she was next door to this teacher... there were 2 seperate rooms with a divider between them, but the 2 classes were usually quite combined.

She came to me and told me that she's really sad about Chanel going on to Year 2 next year... that she's such a wonderful student, and she adores her. She said she's "leadership material," and that she's just divine and so very intelligent. As she was saying it all, she was tearing up. It was really really beautiful that someone cares that much about my child.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 09-12-2012 at 21:35.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have had so many awesome teachers it's hard to pick a moment.

In grade 10 I was reading a book and I had it too close to my face, so my teacher offered to take me after school to get my eyes tested. I said no, coz I was just being lazy with how I was holding my book (and coz I didn't really want to be alone with him coz he was insanely good looking, lol) But he was a real sweetheart.

In grade 12 I was a bit of a drama buff, and the school put on a drama collage... I was in the majority of performances.. It wasn't really anything, but I overheard the teachers all calling it the Gretel variety hour (but in a fun way, not mocking) and that made me feel good.

Also I was feeling pretty bummed about not getting a leadership position in grade 12 as I really wanted one.... but then the head of English pulled me aside one lunch hour and said "I wanted to let you know, because you deserve to... Every single teacher voted for you, but it was vetoed by the principal because he sees you as too likely to instigate change".. and to me, that was the freaking highest compliment ever.

Also in highschool, my sister was a bit of a wile child, sleeping around, getting arrested, and had a few drug overdoses.... my Mum was falling apart and my Dad wasn't around... on a daily basis I had teachers come up and check on me, offer me places to study, extend their help and support. It was really great to feel so cared for.

Oh and I won't ever forget the Ag science teacher who wouldn't let me change out of his class, even though I HATED it... because he "found me amusing and class would be boring without me" lol... but he was pretty awesome.

I've had brilliant teachers, I can't fault them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't believe I've ever had a bad teacher. All annoyed me at some point but then again they were making me work.

A great moment? Year 7 we were all designing the front covers to our English books and I drew this kid sitting on a pile of classic books and he was reading the dictionary. My teacher was so proud of me, he photocopied my work and sent me off to the principal who ended up giving me cake. I was told how good a concept it was and how talented I was and it really gave me confidence in my creativity from then on.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had a terrible teacher - perhaps a few incompetent ones .. but never truly horrid.

The best teacher I ever had was in year 5 - he was AWESOME. I have to say that I did have a massive crush on him (first male teacher etc) .. but we did the BEST activities, we went on a massive camp up to bundaberg, and I still remember quite a few of the strategies that he used to teach us concepts - which is impressive, considering I dont remember some teachers names .. lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

When I was in primary school I couldn't go on camp cos I am anaphylactic (no epipens back in those days and my parents/teachers were way too scared to let me go)
    The teacher got all the kids to write me letters in a scrap book about what they had done each day and why they missed me on camp. Sounds so lame but it almost makes me tear up a little bit just writing this post over 20 years later!! Made me really feel part of it

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Oh I have so many! Especially my high school teachers, I loved so many of them.

My year seven health teacher knew I was depressed and had no confidence and was always super nice in her weird subtle way. And following that my year 9 and 10 health teachers were so nice! One never bothered to make me do PE because I was too shy and just stood in the corner anyway (except when we did soccer, always kicked but at that )

My year seven Japanese teacher (who was also my year 8 French teacher, year 9 geography teacher and year 10 French teacher again) was always so nice to me and once I got to senior years we would have great conversations when she was on duty in the playground.
    All my senior teachers were amazing, I absolutely loved my senior art teacher, she was so selfless to everyone and encouraged me to become an art teacher, let me teach the class a couple times for practice and stuff. My ancient history teacher was so adorable! She hated me in year 8 but by the time I got to senior years I must've been less of a jerk she kept encouraging my essay writing (and to actually attend school, I got down to a 50% attendance rate) and I ended up with a 99% essay after all her hard work! Best feeling ever. And my senior chemistry teacher was hilarious, always cracking jokes and giving away little gifts to us in class if he ever wandered across something in a shop that he thought one of us might like, and one of the other science teachers was so nice! Always offering to help me (even though when he taught me I was top of the class, but even after that in chemistry I began to struggle and he always offered to help) and was always up for a chat. And finally my home ec teacher in year 8 I think was so nice! Never got angry at me for sewing things wrong or breaking sewing needles or setting the oven on fire

I think there were probably other great teachers but those ones were my standout ones. Gosh I miss high school now.