+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Learn your place?

Random thread but I'm curious what everyone's opinion is.

I was reading a magazine article today and It was about LeAnne Rimes and her husband's ex Brandi Glanville (I dont know who she is but whatever lol) anyways Rimes hubby left Brandi for LeAnne and they all co-parent Brandi and Eddie Cibrian's 2 sons together.

Rimes made a statement on Twitter referring to Eddie and his sons as 'my boys' and Brandi got incredibly angry and told her not to refer to her children as 'my boys' and to learn her place as the step-parent.

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are? I am not a step-parent and I'm still with the father of my children so I can't speak from a place of experience in that respect.I mean,I'm sure if my ex's new wife (If I had one) referred to my children as 'hers' It would sting me a bit but I also think I would want whoever is in my child's life in a 'parental' role to love my children and want the best for them.

I am a step-child (I've actually had 2 step mothers over the years) and my first one never truly accepted me so I know how hard and hurtful that can be.My second considers me her own even though she's only been my stepmum since I was 17 (I'm 28 now) and she's been there for me more than my own mother so I know how positive having a step-parent who loves you can be.

So what do you think? Is there a 'line' step-parents should never cross or is anyone that loves your children even remotely as much as you do just a bonus?

Sorry if this post offends anyone,I'm just really interested.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Learn your place?

del
    Last edited by intruderalert1234; 10-12-2012 at 22:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

pennylane  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Gosh, if my child was ever to be parented by someone else my biggest wish would be for her to be loved and accepted as one of their own. It would break my heart for my precious baby to be resented the way I know some children are by their new caregivers. The more love a child can get the better IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

pennylane  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a step parent and Dh dad told Dh son he could call me mum. Anyway the ex heard that and said he was not to call me that and if I wanted to be called mum then I have to have my own child. She also went as far as saying if dh son came to visit I was not to be there. Unknown what her issue was. Anyway son came to visit and when he went home Dh got a text from ex telling him to thank me for taking such good care of her son and thanked me for disciplining him. With my situation I think it just depends on what kind of mood she is in that day. Lol. I guess without being in her situation I can't relate to why it's such a huge issue.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wantsabubba For This Useful Post:

pennylane  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMO a step parents job is to love the child as their own. It must be horrible to be the step child and to be treated different. When you split you have to assume that they may find someone that will want to parent the child and they should be allowed too. Brandi was out of line IMO I mean here is this woman who wants to treat her children like her own and she acts like this?! Maybe she would prefer when the kids visit for step mom to ignore the children and treat them like the plague.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

pennylane  (09-12-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wantsabubba View Post
    I'm a step parent and Dh dad told Dh son he could call me mum. Anyway the ex heard that and said he was not to call me that and if I wanted to be called mum then I have to have my own child. She also went as far as saying if dh son came to visit I was not to be there. Unknown what her issue was. Anyway son came to visit and when he went home Dh got a text from ex telling him to thank me for taking such good care of her son and thanked me for disciplining him. With my situation I think it just depends on what kind of mood she is in that day. Lol. I guess without being in her situation I can't relate to why it's such a huge issue.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    Dictating what your children should do when at the other parents has to be detrimental to the relationships they have with the family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Not a step parent here but there is a history here with Brandi and Leann. Leann and Eddie had an affair and Eddie and Brandis marriage ended, it's obviously still very raw for her that she now also has to co-parent with the woman who broke up her family. Yes I watch too much RHOBH
    *hides in shame*

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (10-12-2012),cluckcluck  (09-12-2012),Kiplusthree  (09-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wantsabubba View Post
    I'm a step parent and Dh dad told Dh son he could call me mum.
    Absolutely not cool!!

OP it depends. My step-fathers called me and my brother their children, but my step-mother never! She never warmed to us. But I think the difference was that mum had custody of us so we lived with our step-father, for 16 years (current step-father has been with mum for 15 years also).

Bur definitely inappropriate for kids to call a step-parent mum or dad if they already have a mum or dad !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (09-12-2012),Rutabaga  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I adore SD like my own & refer to her as my baby or my FAVOURITE child.

While this works for us in our house its intensely disliked by her mother & DH family. I've finally reached the point where I don't give a crap. I'd rather anyone else other than SD have problems with how I am with her. We are very close & that's all that matters❤

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Absolutely not cool!!

OP it depends. My step-fathers called me and my brother their children, but my step-mother never! She never warmed to us. But I think the difference was that mum had custody of us so we lived with our step-father, for 16 years (current step-father has been with mum for 15 years also).

Bur definitely inappropriate for kids to call a step-parent mum or dad if they already have a mum or dad !
    What if they want to??

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub