+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to stop swaddling?

Both DD's were wrapped and then put in a woombie with a safe t wrap till 12 months. They loved being snug!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I do tuck her arms in and make it pretty tight! I think I will keep doing it unless she really seems unhappy.
    She is starting to wiggle out about 30 mins before she really wakes up too.
    I knew about that startle reflex thingy so that's why I keep doing it. When does that go away/stop?

Again, that startle reflex is diffrent for all babies. DD for instance, had it for ages. It was bigger twitches when she was a newborn then it kinda calmed down the older she got. She's 22mths now and if i go into check on her sometimes she will do it and roll over/change position. Sometimes ive seen it happen if she falls asleep in car seat. Just doesnt bother her or wake her now.
    I think i even still do it in my sleep lol.
    Transition from swaddle to sleeping bag is easy - keep same routine and instead of wrapping, put into sleeping bag. I always swaddled dd looser for a couple weeks before i made the change as sleeping bags are not as tight as a swaddle. I agree u should persist with the swaddle - sense of secutity when they are so tiny. But all in all it's up to how you feel

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (14-12-2012),Tamtam  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, with my current DD, I wrapped her pretty tight in tshirt material stretchy wraps from birth- there was a fine art to get it right, otherwise her arms would come out. Then, recently, I discovered the Swaddle Me wrap with velcro from Toys r Us- I purchased the small size and she was in that until about 12 weeks. It is excellent- firm without being too tight and because of the way the fabric is sewn, her arms can't get out. I have just gone to the bigger size and she is just over 4 months with no signs of rolling yet. Soon, I will start to have one arm out, then eventually, she'll go into a grobag when she is rolling. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped swaddling my DS1 as soon as we were back home from hosp as it was summer and I also thought he didn't like it.

With DS2 we are still swaddling him at two months and really see the benefits - security and snug, keeps his arms down so they don't swing out of control and I think this settles him down, also doesn't startle and whack himself. He also sees this as a sleep cue. All in all I find that he loves the swaddling. I tried a love to dream but his hands can still reach his mouth and trigger his rooting reflex (he loves to suck!), so we use the normal cotton wraps. Summer is here and he's gone bigger so we use the kiwi green Muslim wraps 120cm by 120cm, great stuff!

We were given two preloved sleeping bags, can't wait to use them when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    I stopped swaddling my DS1 as soon as we were back home from hosp as it was summer and I also thought he didn't like it.

With DS2 we are still swaddling him at two months and really see the benefits - security and snug, keeps his arms down so they don't swing out of control and I think this settles him down, also doesn't startle and whack himself. He also sees this as a sleep cue. All in all I find that he loves the swaddling. I tried a love to dream but his hands can still reach his mouth and trigger his rooting reflex (he loves to suck!), so we use the normal cotton wraps. Summer is here and he's gone bigger so we use the kiwi green Muslim wraps 120cm by 120cm, great stuff!

We were given two preloved sleeping bags, can't wait to use them when the time comes.
    Thanks for that. It's a good comparison between your two experiences. I'm sticking with wrapping her.
    I looked at the wraps like mentioned but they would still be too big and not tight enough I don't think.
    At the en of her sleep she wriggles right out of her swaddle and likes to put her arms up above her head.
    Initially she squirms and wiggles in the swaddle but eventually falls asleep. I'm not sure that's a sign she doesn't like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub squirms and wriggles sometimes too. It depends on the situation. If I know it is sleep time and he does that, I will still make sure he remains swaddled, the swaddling and then cuddling him in the swaddle settles him.

If it is early in the morning when he wakes and squirms and wriggles, I will unswaddle him so he can stretch.

Sometimes he may squirm and wriggle in the middle of the night and it could be wind in his tummy. So I will unswaddle him, allow him to stretch and help him do cycling motions to help with wind.

There are a few times he escapes his big swaddles too.

It is easy if your DD is small as I find it hard to find large swaddles. Kiwi green has various sizes of muslim swaddles. They are really good quality. There are 90 by 90 cm ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks. Yeah she is small. Only just fitting 00000!! Under 3kgs.
    Thanks for your tips. I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got up to about 3mth, once he moved around he refused to be wrapped in anything

Thanks
    Reviews

I didn't swaddle dd2 last night (6mths) -WORST night ever. So blooming tired.

Back to being tightly wrapped today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD was an October baby and I swaddled her from day dot in hospital. It helped her sleep so well. Then in late December it became too hot to swaddle (no aircon in bedroom unfortunately!), and I was forced to stop swaddling with the overnight bedroom temperature being around 28-30 degrees. Her sleep did go to poo when we stopped swaddling unfortunately, and it wasn't until I night weaned her at 12 months that she slept through again, and now at 14 months she sleeps through still.