+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Yes, I used a movement monitor for peace of mind, my 9 month old still wakes up to 3 times a night and each time I check on my 3yr old - being in different rooms doesn't make you disconnected from your children. I coslept in hospital and twice woke up thinking I had killed my baby as she was breathing so shallow, it scared me so much I guess that is the main reason I can't cosleep either. My friend lost her DS1 to SIDS and he was in a bassinet next to her. It is such a sad event, the fact that it is still so unexplained is heartbreaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Does anyone have a good, clear definition of co-sleeping as per the SIDS recommendation? And one of bed sharing? I think there is a lot of confusion between these 2 things and what they actually mean as per the recommendations. I think the media does a lot to confuse these 2 things.
    Co sleeping as per SIDS is in the same room as primary caregiver. The point is so babies can hear you breathe. So if they forget.... Being so new and all... They then pattern their breathing to yours.

You can tell who is sleeping near dd2 by her breathing - DH, dd1 or me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia92 View Post
    But my baby wakes every hour if I'm in the same room as him. He sleeps 10hours every night without waking in his own room. And he doesn't wake up scared or alone. Every morning I wake up to him talking to himself. And get a huge grin when he sees me.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    Thats why everyone of us decides what works best for each family. If your way works for your family then be it.

miss_mack was just hightlighting the real facts of SiDS.

personally I am scared of SIDs. I will be heartbroken for the rest of my life if i lost my bub to that knowing I could have prevented it. Bubs in his cot in our room. He will be for now haven't thought about putting him to his own room yet. It's easier for feeding and comforting him when he cries...he's noisy and fussy sleeper.

And I am aware of the temperature in my room. If its too cold/warm for me, it will be for bub. We activate the Angelcare only if he's in his cot and I am in the living room or kitchen. We have a Gro Egg...incredible indispensable gadget in his cot for us...acts as a night light besides giving us the temp of room.

Bubs in our bed from early morning cos that's his fussiest time.

DS1 went to his own room at 3YO without much problem and still sleeps in his own room till now, without any music or night light. He still rooms in during naps and on days when we need the air con on. He is 7YO. We only have a/c in this bedroom. And he has no problem going back to his room when he has to.

Besides SIDS and the ease of feeding/attending to bub, our family enjoy the moments cuddling/sleeping together in bed. Kids/babies wil grow out of it anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our first two in our room in a cot/ our bed til about 18 mths, and currently have our 2.5 yr old in a toddler bed in our room, and our twins in cots in our room. Luckily we have a big room! For me, id decided on sharing a room before I had my first I was aware of the sids risk of sleeping them alone, but after they were born I couldn't imagine them being in another room anyway.

i think people should do what works for them, but its important to acknowledge the increased risk associated with putting them in their own room in the decision making process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I did not anticipate the amount of replies, clearly its a sensitive and passionate topic for many people...

So obviously there are a lot of cons to have the cot/bassinet in the bedroom with you... But reading through all the replies, would not the respond for picking up your child stopped breathing be "quicker" if u have the sensors go off as soon as they dont record movement, than u having to be "alert" at all the times (so u dont get a good sleep) to make sure u hear when/if ur child stops breathing? (Please be mindful that Im not criticising anyones choices or decisions)
    So if u dont trust the sensor monitor, (and noise on so u can hear ur child breath anyway) why is that? Is there reasons Im missing?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naradine For This Useful Post:

soon2bmumzy  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's individual.

For me there is no con to room sharing but heaps for bub in a different room. I also don't see the point for sensors. I automatically wake up if bub goes between sleep cycles but equally quickly pass out again.

Sensors work on some kind of power source... So what if that fails?

Note: if either of my girls is sick we bed share. That way I can feel their body temp if they are running a fever, comfort them easily without having to get out of bed.

Remember a newborn can feed hourly for the first few months. Can you image getting out of bed and walking down the corridor hourly?

Quote Originally Posted by Naradine View Post
    Wow, I did not anticipate the amount of replies, clearly its a sensitive and passionate topic for many people...

So obviously there are a lot of cons to have the cot/bassinet in the bedroom with you... But reading through all the replies, would not the respond for picking up your child stopped breathing be "quicker" if u have the sensors go off as soon as they dont record movement, than u having to be "alert" at all the times (so u dont get a good sleep) to make sure u hear when/if ur child stops breathing? (Please be mindful that Im not criticising anyones choices or decisions)
    So if u dont trust the sensor monitor, (and noise on so u can hear ur child breath anyway) why is that? Is there reasons Im missing?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's individual.

For me there is no con to room sharing but heaps for bub in a different room. I also don't see the point for sensors. I automatically wake up if bub goes between sleep cycles but equally quickly pass out again.

Sensors work on some kind of power source... So what if that fails?

Note: if either of my girls is sick we bed share. That way I can feel their body temp if they are running a fever, comfort them easily without having to get out of bed.

Remember a newborn can feed hourly for the first few months. Can you image getting out of bed and walking down the corridor hourly?
    The movement monitors have battery back up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the thing isn't so much that you are 'quicker to respond' if baby stops breathing if they are in your room, but that babies generally regulate their breathing much better if they are sharing a room with their caregivers, so there is less of a need for that equipment.
    I guess if you wanted to be extra extra safe you could use those alarm things with the baby IN your room, and be doubly safe?
    For me, I couldn't imagine my baby not being next to me, but I am a pretty heavy sleeper so don't have any issues with being woken by their noises (I can sleep through them crying right next to me sometimes lol).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

wrena  (11-12-2012)