+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Eh? How can you definitively say without a shadow of a doubt that sleeping alone won't cause it? Numerous studies have come back with it being an increased risk, many babies have died and far more of them have died sleeping alone that with parents. Sure, make the decision that is right for your family, based on your situation and child but accept the risks. Be aware of how significantly it increases the risks- doesn't matter if its BF or FF, vaccinating or not vaccinating- everything comes with a risk and sticking our head in the sand and saying it won't happen may make us feel better and justified in our decision but it won't stop it happening. It serves none of those babies or their parents broken hearts no justice to ignore the risks and think we are above it
    I'm not ignoring the risks but some people are going on like it's a fact. And it's going ti happens. A baby can still die of sids right next to you. Any thing can happen.
    In our situation our baby is best off in his own room. And there is NOTHING wrong with that.
    And hey, his room is right next to ours so he probably still hears us sleep. But it's more noisy for him if he's in our room.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was adamant DS would be in his own room from birth, I had much the same views as you OP. 1st night in hospital, he co-slept in bed with me. We were home the next day, and I put him to bed in his room. I HATED it. Not because I was up and down every 1-2 hours feeding, but because I missed him. I wanted him close to me. It was so overwhelming. For 2 weeks I was back and forth to his room, around 3am or even earlier he ended up in bed with me anyway. So then I decided eff it, and he came into our room and slept at the end of our bed until we went to bed in his cot, then after he woke for a feed he would come into bed with me. He is 22 months old now, and is still co-sleeping. His cot is side-carred to our bed. Pre-baby, I never would have thought I would be like this and LOVE it as much as I do.

So take it as it comes once bub is here. If you are comfortable having them in their own room, so be it. If you find you want them close by and in your room, just do it. Go with the flow, and do what works for YOUR family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I would also strongly advise because of my own experience that if bubby is in another room that they do have a monitor.

Jasper stopped breathing in his bassinet and as I climbed into bed I had one last peak at him and noticed he was pale and scooped him up and realised he wasnt breathing. I hate to think what would have had happened if he wasn't in our room.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I would also strongly advise because of my own experience that if bubby is in another room that they do have a monitor.

Jasper stopped breathing in his bassinet and as I climbed into bed I had one last peak at him and noticed he was pale and scooped him up and realised he wasnt breathing. I hate to think what would have had happened if he wasn't in our room.

good thing you checked. that would have been scary. how old was he if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia92 View Post
    good thing you checked. that would have been scary. how old was he if you don't mind me asking?

He was 11 days old.

He's 4 now and it didn't happen again. We had an apnea monitor for him after for a bit. Who knows what happened. He was flat on his back, nothing near his head etc etc
    Funny I still go in and put my hand on him to "check he's still breathing" when I just glance at the baby. Habit.

Last edited by Boobycino; 09-12-2012 at 22:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

He was 11 days old.

He's 4 now and it didn't happen again. We had an apnea monitor for him after for a bit. Who knows what happened. He was flat on his back, nothing near his head etc etc
    Funny I still go in and put my hand on him to "check he's still breathing" when I just glance at the baby. Habit.

I might get a monitor. I don't need a sound or video cause I can hear him as his rooms right next to ours and we leave the doors open. but might get one of those heart sensor mat things.
    thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews

He was 11 days old.

I might get a monitor. I don't need a sound or video cause I can hear him as his rooms right next to ours and we leave the doors open. but might get one of those heart sensor mat things.
    thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews

He was 11 days old.

thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

It's normal or newborns to wake regular for feeds, etc in the night. Not up to 10 times a night because noises from room sharing disturb them. The two are entirely different things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does anyone have a good, clear definition of co-sleeping as per the SIDS recommendation? And one of bed sharing? I think there is a lot of confusion between these 2 things and what they actually mean as per the recommendations. I think the media does a lot to confuse these 2 things.