+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Thanks missie.

I know its semantics but a 50% increase is not the same as twice as likely.

For example, if in a study 100 babies died of SIDS in their parents room, a 50% increase would be 150. Twice as likely is, obviously, 200.

I know it is riskier to have babies in their own room. Luckily I live in a shoebox so DS in his own room is like him being in our room if it was a decent size. I can still hear him breathing from my bed.

There is also physically no room for a cot in our room and bed sharing is not an option (morning cuddles aside).

Each to their own. Also the highest risk for SIDS is the 2-3 month old period.
    Same here. I live in a small apartment and ds who is 4 months sleeps in his own room and has from birth.

Babies that sleep in there own room will not die of sids. I know the sids website suggests babies sleeping in the same room as mum. But there's no need to feel guilty if bub can't. My son prefers it in his own room. Its where he can get a decent sleep and not wake up to me snoring or dp getting ready for work at 4.30am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Bed shared and Moses basket until 4 months then he went into his own bed .

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I keep bub in our room till 12mths if not in our bed It's a tight fit with the cot in there but I wouldn't dream of it any other way. My 2yo sleeps down the corridor in our new house and I'm forever getting up to check on her.

I sleep best when both girls are in bed with me.
    This... DS was in our room till just over 2. He's now right next door & I can hear every movement. DD is 17 months & her cot is side-cared to our bed. I sleep much better when my babies are with me.
    I have read regarding SIDS risk, if a newborn baby is in the same room, they match their breathing to mums, so reduces the risk of their breathing to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Eh? How can you definitively say without a shadow of a doubt that sleeping alone won't cause it? Numerous studies have come back with it being an increased risk, many babies have died and far more of them have died sleeping alone that with parents. Sure, make the decision that is right for your family, based on your situation and child but accept the risks. Be aware of how significantly it increases the risks- doesn't matter if its BF or FF, vaccinating or not vaccinating- everything comes with a risk and sticking our head in the sand and saying it won't happen may make us feel better and justified in our decision but it won't stop it happening. It serves none of those babies or their parents broken hearts no justice to ignore the risks and think we are above it
    What an unnecessary attacking response - where did she give any indication of 'definitely thinking without a shadow of doubt' - nice way to turn this into an argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My first still cosleeps, he is nearly 6

My DD is 14 months old and she sleeps in a cot, but she is still in the room with me (I'm single). When I move into my new house at the end of next month I'll probably have her in with me for a few months and then when we're both ready and settled into our new house I'll put her in her bedroom (the kids will both finally have their own rooms).

DS has coslept from birth, so it's all he's known. He spends weekends at his dad's so I actually love to be able to snuggle with him on the nights that I've got him, so I'll let him cosleep until he's ready to stop.

Each to their own though, I realise that it wouldn't suit everyone to cosleep like I do with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wait till the baby's born and then see how you feel, what's right someone else isn't necessarily right for you.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysTheQuietOne For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012),MummaOJ  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    What an unnecessary attacking response - where did she give any indication of 'definitely thinking without a shadow of doubt' - nice way to turn this into an argument.
    See below....

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia92 View Post
    Babies that sleep in there own room will not die of sids.

FWIW- I struggle with the idea that babies sleep worse in the company of their mothers. It's not only proven, but blatantly obviously that the sounds of the mother is more relaxing and comforting for a baby....

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (09-12-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012),Mulva  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    See below....

FWIW- I struggle with the idea that babies sleep worse in the company of their mothers. It's not only proven, but blatantly obviously that the sounds of the mother is more relaxing and comforting for a baby....
    But my baby wakes every hour if I'm in the same room as him. He sleeps 10hours every night without waking in his own room. And he doesn't wake up scared or alone. Every morning I wake up to him talking to himself. And get a huge grin when he sees me.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia92 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (10-12-2012)

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    SIDS is the commonest cause of death in infancy from 1 month to 1 year of age. Of all the things you worry about, it's probably the one to give most consideration to.

Thanks
    Reviews

Every baby is different. Who knows, my next baby might love sleeping in the same room as me. But my current baby doesn't.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub