+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DD was little it gave me such comfort to know that everyone I loved the most was all safe in the same room

But breastfeeding was a big factor for us as well, having her near made it so much easier!!

Plus the sids thing, I actually enjoyed hearing all of her little noises and the fact that I was alert to them. That special intuitive bond (to me) is a special gift of being a mother. It always left me bewildered that hubby didn't stir at all!

I know without a doubt that if I wasn't hearing those precious sounds throughout the night I would be stumbling around in the dark checking on her! Even now (she's 8) I will still check on her when I wake through the night, and every now and again we have a family sleepover in the same room, it still feels lovely!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Same as most others, DS was right beside me for 6mths.
    1. SIDS recommendation
    2. Easier for feeding
    3. Comfort for both of us
    4. His bedroom is upstairs, so didn't want to transition him until he was sleeping through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Missie Mack

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks missie.

I know its semantics but a 50% increase is not the same as twice as likely.

For example, if in a study 100 babies died of SIDS in their parents room, a 50% increase would be 150. Twice as likely is, obviously, 200.

I know it is riskier to have babies in their own room. Luckily I live in a shoebox so DS in his own room is like him being in our room if it was a decent size. I can still hear him breathing from my bed.

There is also physically no room for a cot in our room and bed sharing is not an option (morning cuddles aside).

Each to their own. Also the highest risk for SIDS is the 2-3 month old period.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Both my kids have gone straight into a cot in their own room (next to ours) from the first night home. For us it worked brilliantly, I could still hear them, I always get straight up to their needs (I am the lightest sleeper ever). The main reason has been so my husband can get a good night sleep, there is no point us both being woken and tired when I'm the one breast feeding therefore the one my babies want at night. My husband has a high level executive job which is extremely important to our family, therefore I feed in the babies room at night and try not disturb him too much. He has got up numerous times to hold a refluxy baby at night while I get some sleep, but honestly he is more use to me if he can come home on time from work and help during witching hour.
    As previous posts have said , you just figure out what works for your family as you go, but having a baby in our bed or bedroom was never an option for me, I hate sharing my sleeping space

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You're right. Nor does a 3 fold or 10 fold increase equate to twice as likely. Twice as likely was probably being polite or trying not to offend...
    Ok. I'm dubious of the 10 fold increase but that's ok. Not looking to debate which is safer as we are in agreement.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Both my kids have gone straight into a cot in their own room (next to ours) from the first night home. For us it worked brilliantly, I could still hear them, I always get straight up to their needs (I am the lightest sleeper ever). The main reason has been so my husband can get a good night sleep, there is no point us both being woken and tired when I'm the one breast feeding therefore the one my babies want at night. My husband has a high level executive job which is extremely important to our family, therefore I feed in the babies room at night and try not disturb him too much. He has got up numerous times to hold a refluxy baby at night while I get some sleep, but honestly he is more use to me if he can come home on time from work and help during witching hour.
    As previous posts have said , you just figure out what works for your family as you go, but having a baby in our bed or bedroom was never an option for me, I hate sharing my sleeping space
    I like my own sleeping space too. And DS has slept heaps better from the first time he went in his cot so I think he takes after his mama

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 slept in our room until 7 months. We moved her into to her own room when she dropped her night feeds.

DD2 is coming up to 9 months and is still in our room. She's still feeding 1-2 times overnight. I'm secretly pleased with this and would be happy to have her with us til at least 12 months cause she's our last bub and once she's moved to her room that's it - no more babies in our room!

In my opinion there's nothing quite like having a little bubba share your room, I love looking into her cot at night and seeing her asleep. I love having her close, hearing her sleeping.

It's SO much easier to have bub in your room if your breast feeding. I don't have to wake up fully to feed her, I just get her out of her cot, tuck her in with me to feed laying down and then pop her back into her cot when she's finished. She doesn't wake up fully either.....it means more sleep for all of us!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 was in her own room from birth.
    DS roomed with us till 5 months as we only had a 2 bed house at the time.
    DD2 is 4 months and still in a bassinet in our room only so she doesn't wake her siblings through the night though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Thanks missie.

I know its semantics but a 50% increase is not the same as twice as likely.

For example, if in a study 100 babies died of SIDS in their parents room, a 50% increase would be 150. Twice as likely is, obviously, 200.

I know it is riskier to have babies in their own room. Luckily I live in a shoebox so DS in his own room is like him being in our room if it was a decent size. I can still hear him breathing from my bed.

There is also physically no room for a cot in our room and bed sharing is not an option (morning cuddles aside).

Each to their own. Also the highest risk for SIDS is the 2-3 month old period.
    Same here. I live in a small apartment and ds who is 4 months sleeps in his own room and has from birth.

Babies that sleep in there own room will not die of sids. I know the sids website suggests babies sleeping in the same room as mum. But there's no need to feel guilty if bub can't. My son prefers it in his own room. Its where he can get a decent sleep and not wake up to me snoring or dp getting ready for work at 4.30am.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast