+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We still have our baby in our room at 5 months & probably for another few weeks/months. Her room is at the other end of the house so it's more convenient & I like having her close to me. She currently sleeps next to me but this doesn't work for everybody and every family is different.

When your baby comes along you will work out what is best for your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

It is safer for baby to be sleeping in same room as a parent/caregiver (SIDS). I also wanted my babies close to me at night..... That being said, DS is 3weeks old and I had forgotten how noisy babies can be!! Regardless, he will be next to me in his cot for at least 6months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have to admit I love having our room back to ourselves now DS is almost six months! I know that might horrify some hubbers lol!

Having said that the cheeky monkey almost always comes into bed with us for cuddles when he wakes around 5/6am as its the only chance we have of getting a bit more sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews

DS went into the bassinet in our bedroom because
    1. Easier for breastfeeding
    2. I felt more at ease having him close and hearing him breath
    3. SIDS
    4. Bonding
    At 4 months he outgrew his bassinet and went into a cot in his own room.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

I'll be keeping bub in my room until he/she outgrows the bassinet.

I'm due 31 may so I don't want to be getting out of bed and stumbling to another room every 1-2 hours when it often gets below zero here in winter!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I couldn't wait to get home from the hospital so that DS could sleep in his own room. He made so much noise whilst he was alseep. His room is next to ours and I can still hear him breathing from our bed so he is not far away.

SIDS and kids recommend having bub in your room until they are 12 months old. However it's up to you - you may find that you can't bear to have bub in their own room, or you may prefer to have your own space.

We never used a breathing monitor and only had the baby monitor on for the first week - we didn't need it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

At night My boy slept in a crib next to my Bed for the first 6 months. Purely because I was afraid of the SIDS risks. I had a sensor mat and was still worried.

During the day he slept in his cot in his own room from about day 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's a SIDS recommendation... but even if it wasn't, here are some benefits that I discovered:

- I checked on her several times a night to make sure she was still alive. It was a lot easier when she was close to me... I didn't always have to get out of bed to check her.

-Feeding is a lot easier. You're not wandering around a cold dark house trying to get to your baby. It's nicer to just walk a few steps and there they are.

-You know that if your baby wakes and cries, you're going to know about it.

-I knew that if there was a fire, I could get to her, because unless there was some freakish outbreak that began right between my bed and her cot, she was right there with me...

-My baby liked being with me. She would grizzle much more when she wasn't. I guess that's only natural for someone who just spent 9 months inside me... it would be pretty scary to be thrust into this cold world and left on your own for several hours of the night... adults can get scared sleeping in an empty house from time-to-time, so I expect it's natural for a new baby to be scared of being alone too.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

lones  (10-12-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies in their own room are twice as likely to die from SIDS. The reason is thought to be because being in the same room as adults breathing helps bubs to regulate their own breathing and means they are unlikely to slip into a sleep so deep that they can't arouse if they need to. Also, babies who roomshare are statistically likely to be breastfed considerably longer, presumably due to the comparative ease of night feeding. You may also find that when your baby is born, that you can't stand the thought of them being away from you all night - those mama bear hormones are powerful stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    Babies in their own room are twice as likely to die from SIDS. The reason is thought to be because being in the same room as adults breathing helps bubs to regulate their own breathing and means they are unlikely to slip into a sleep so deep that they can't arouse if they need to. Also, babies who roomshare are statistically likely to be breastfed considerably longer, presumably due to the comparative ease of night feeding. You may also find that when your baby is born, that you can't stand the thought of them being away from you all night - those mama bear hormones are powerful stuff!
    I've never heard that stat in your first sentence. Can you post a link?