+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn sleeping in the same room as you?!

I have been stalking around here for ages and I thought now is a good time for a first post and question!

My husband and I are 13 weeks with our first child! (Dont understand all the shortenings on here, so sorry if i'm spelling everything out!)

From reading through posts, it seems like it is a rule rather than exception for your newborn to sleep in the same room as you... I dont understand the benefits of that and would love to get some feedback about it.
    I always believed that the baby should go straight into their cot in their own room... Isn't that why you have the breathing sensors and the noise monitor for?

please let me know ur thoughts and experiences! Dont want to judge anyone for their choices, just very curios to find out benefits/drawbacks according to all u wise people out there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It's totally personal choice but SIDS recommendations are that baby shares your room for 12 months.

This is totally unrealistic for us and DS moved out of our room at four months old and we ALL sleep a lot better.

But when he was tiny I couldn't bear to not have him with us. I think them hearing your breathing is very reassuring. And practically its handy for them to be right there since they wake up a lot.

We only use the breathing monitor now he is not in our room.

Plenty of people put bub in their own room straight away though. To be honest I don't think you'll know for sure what you'll do until bub arrives. I was convinced DS would be in our room for 12 months but he is a noisy sleeper and I'm a light sleeper and we both used to wake each other up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had to move my ds into his own room at 4 weeks because all his noises in his sleep were keeping me awake, like I was hyper alert constantly. I slept a lot better when he moved and I always heard him from the next room but not as intensely as before

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned to keep DD in a bassinet for a few months in my room - it lasted 5 nights! She was such a loud sleeper (snorting farting etc ha) and I jumped up to check her at every noise. She went into room next to ours and we all slept better.
    You'll work out what's right for you and your baby - everyone is different.
    Congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sids

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

lones  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd was in our room till just after her 1st birthday. Not only for the SIDS reccomendation, it was very convenient for night feeds. I also just liked having her right next to me

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

lones  (10-12-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

First, SIDS recommend it.

Second, do you like sleeping alone at night? I don't think it's fair to expect a newborn baby to sleep alone when they've been so close to you for 9 months.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-12-2012),lones  (10-12-2012),Luvmydogs  (10-12-2012),Miah  (09-12-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012),Rockett  (10-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-12-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Apart from the SIDS recommendation, it just didn't seem right to put my newborn into another room. Each to their own, but it's not for me.

I also found it convenient to have the baby in my room, especially for night feeds.

ETA: Btw, there is no link between apnea and SIDS, so SIDS and Kids don't endorse the breathing monitors for that specific purpose.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 09-12-2012 at 16:54.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

lones  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup, to do with SIDS. The main reason is that babies sleep more lightly when they're near other people. It may be less convenient for the parents, but it's safer for them - means that they're more likely to wake up if something is wrong and less likely to stop breathing etc.

We intended to have our daughter (currently 10.5 weeks) in our room, but I was really struggling to sleep with her in the same room. I probably would have got used to it, but since my partner works from home & mostly works at nights, he has her in the office with him until he goes to bed (early morning). He then moves her bassinet into the hall outside our room so that I can hear her more easily & get to her quicker for feeds. Feeds go MUCH better if I get to her before she wakes up fully and starts getting upset.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it's more of a benefit for mother and father as no one is jumping up in the middle of the night running down to babies room to settle them 5-6 times a night. I always put my kids into their rooms once they mostly stop waking during the night. 5 months, 4 months and 10 months.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (10-12-2012)