+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default One income household.

We will be a 1 income family from Feb next yr, we have put enough money away while both working to cover our mortgage repayments so that we're just living off my Fiances wage for everything except the mortgage... Save as much as you can.
    Plus dont forget u get Baby Bonus or paid parental leave scheme.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We've been on one income since I fell pregnant with ds (I had to give up my full time job and just work one day a week due to health issues)
    Now, with baby number 2 on the way, we are going to be earning less as dh is studying full time. He hasn't yet found a job that will work around his course, which means we're relying purely on benefits (which I hate, but that's a different story!!!)

It can be done, but as others have said, live within your means. Write a budget and stick to it. Don't buy anything new (except car seat!). Save as much as you can.

If you want to find out where your money is currently going, keep a record. Carry a notebook with you everywhere and record every cent that goes out. You'll see how quickly it adds up and how much you spend on unnecessary items!

Thanks
    Reviews

Would your husband be eligible for study assistance? It's not much but it's something. Only concern that I see is if you're working ft and pregnant what happens (knock on wood it doesn't) but you can't work for what ever reason? Is there anyway he can maintain a pt or casual job?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My partner didn't work for 18 months while he was finishing his degree full time, and I worked.

Whether it's viable will of course depend on how much you earn and what your expensies are.

But if you have children, you will have to consider whether you will be satisfied working full time when they are very young, and how much time you can take off. I found I did feel a bit resentful sometimes towards my partner as I missed my son while I was at work.

The actual baby stuff doesn't cost that much. You can buy secondhand stuff and borrow things, and there aren't many ongoing costs, eg. my newborn costs me nothing on a weekly basis as I breastfeeding, use cloth nappies and wipes. the biggest expense of having a baby is the loss of earning potential through not working rather than the baby itself.
    I agree if you are wanting to stay with bubs for a while but u have to go back to work how will u feel have you though of these things if ur going to breastfeeding will u express at work too which will become very draining.
    These days prices are going up more n more everyone goes stupid with a first child then the second n third etc u realize what a waste of money half or more of the stuff was I would go second hand stuff they are usually in really great condition if say a change table is a waste of money cause if u r feeding bub in ur room or anywhere not near theirs u usually change it where u are on floor or bed u can hire capsules for around $70 for 6 mnths then u can buy car seat cloth nappies have pros n cons me I prefere disposable the aldi and smugglers are great when aldi has the boxes on special it's well worth the money and I always stock up wipes aldi or dimples from big w u get 6 in a box for $10 cheepest I've seen and just as good come in fragrance n fragrance free.
    There's many more things u can look into u get family assistance so will ur husband for studying I'd ring up centerline and find out your options what your entitled to. Get the baby sale pages on Facebook they have great stuff too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Oh and I save heaps by making my own washing powder and also my own yoghurt.
    How do you make your own washing powder?

On the other note, were a family of 4, one income hubby is a 1st yr apprentice and we have a homeloan, we survie and eat well.

If you don't mind buying or receiving things 2nd hand, its a great thing, your local buy and sell group on fb/ gumtree/ ebay are great, get friends/family to go in and put $ towards a babyseat/cot.

How much longer has your partner got on uni if you don't mind me asking. And you will get benefits from your work too for having bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was working up until I had my son and I went back to work when he was 11 months. To me, the extra money wasn't worth the things I was missing with him. I don't work now and we are on one wage.
    It's a huge lifestyle change but one that can be made by making a lot of little changes like all the previous posted suggested.
    You will find a lot of things that you couldn't live without, unnecessary when it comes to what you really want (a bub). So things like foxtel, alcohol, big roast dinners etc you won't mind missing so much
    Don't think that you have to go secondhand for all your baby items (but I do suggest it as a lot of second hand is new anyway lol) but if you are having a baby shower you could ask for specific things that you would really like new. Your close family and friends I'm guessing know your circumstances so would probably rather get you something or put money towards something you would really like or need
    We also have 'anything' nights for dinner. Which means you can have anything you like as long as its in the house. So if you have no meat or fresh vegies, have baked beans on toast or a can of something and some fruit or whatever. It's not exciting and I have to admit most times I don't want anything like that, but the next day you are done and dusted and you just had a super cheap meal using stuff you already had.
    Hope that helps a little bit, I think all the suggestions so far are spot on x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shabbychook View Post
    How do you make your own washing powder?
    There are lots of recipes if you google. I use equal parts bicarb soda, lectric washing soda powder and lux soap flakes. I use 1 teaspoon per wash for my front loader.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

shabbychook  (27-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are yet to have a child, but are already a one income household. DF works and I dont. We have already stocked up on a lot of baby things while we had disposable income (from when I worked) We bought what we knew we would need when baby sales at Target happened (things like towels, facewashers, blankets and sheets etc) We have a giant stash of baby clothes in all sizes and majority of them are from garage sales.

Honestly, you can find some brilliant things at garage sales. A lot of the clothes we have are in really good nick and when we do get pregnant and find out the sex, we will be able to get gender based stuff from garage sales! A baby will grow too quickly to fork out the money on new clothes! We want to get a few things brand new (such as car seat etc) and our family will be the type that will want to get us an item that we need.

I agree with all pp about budgeting and living within your means. We have had to learn to do this anyway with only DF having a job, and its amazing the things that you just waste money on when you take notice! Good luck with it all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    We are a single income family with two (about to be three) children.
    It can be done, I think the key is living within your means. We have a low income but we bought a cheaper house so repayments were more than manageable, we are careful with how we spend our money etc. Babies don't cost that much, there are lot of baby items that really aren't necessary at all and plenty can be bought cheaper.