+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    oh my god you guys are awesome.
    We live with my partners mum, so our rent isn't too high, though we definitely pay our way it is not a free ride.
    I intend to BF and use cloth nappies. A bigger time consumption but it's what I had and I will do the same. This has definitely made me feel more confident and gives me hope. My partner and I really want kids but the only thing that was stopping it was perhaps we couldn't make do. It makes me happy to know that you can manage, for this ladies, i thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We have 6 kids and have only ever had one wage. You need to learn to budget and live with in your means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you mind if i ask you what meals you prepare? i ask this because i feel perhaps some of the meals in our house may be a bit too expensive. it is unfortunate because we live with my partners mother and brother and have to juggle everybody when it comes to shopping. i can't thank everybody enough for replying

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are a single income family, we have a mortgage and 3 children, it is totally do-able, it has certainly made us appreciate what we have, but we don't go without either. Children are as expensive as you want them to be, society pressures you to believe that children need the best and most expensive of everything but they truely only need the basics and they can't tell the different in how much you've spent on something.
    Gumtree, ebay and local buy and sell pages are brilliant for grabbing a bargain. Or you can go to an extreme that somebody I know did, she paid $5 and the tip for a highchair and changetable, whilst I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using items from the tip for my kids, good on them for being money concious and living within their means.
    As far as food go's, I shop at either Coles or the Markets, I buy meat in bulk and freeze seperately, we don't buy too much of the expensive meats like pork/lamb/ etc.. unless it's on special. I mainly cook with mince, beef, chicken or fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Steelart For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default One income household.

Cheap meals use only a little meat -eg. 200g chicken for two people, or cheap meat like mince/sausages. Bulk meat meals out with legumes like lentils or kidney beans.

Buy in season fruit and veg from farmer's market and meal plan around that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default One income household.

Oh and I save heaps by making my own washing powder and also my own yoghurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: One income household.

I have so many tips as a one income household ( im a sahm) so am subscribing so i can come back and write a proper reply

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you littlemissellie
    and to the rest of you thank you so much.
    i am enjoying reading all of your input and definitely intend to follow your advice.
    i think perhaps my partner and i must spend money somewhere and we need to find out exactly what is sucking out our money.i did start writing this thread thinking i needed the best of everything (and my partners sister has definitely given me that impression) but i suppose now i definitely feel differently.
    Last edited by t1989; 09-12-2012 at 22:15. Reason: missed word :p

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My husband started studying the year we fell pregnant. But it has been a loooooong long road and he isn't finished yet. Hopefully he should be finished the end of 2014...

It can be done, but it's not always easy. And there are many things that get in the way.. for example, last year in second semester he couldn't finish ANY of his subjects... because I was working full-time and the baby was sick for 12 weeks and couldn't attend childcare.

And having babies is stressful, so he'd often end up dropping subjects the semester a baby was born, which dragged out his degree.

And not only that, but what I'm facing now is I'm becoming a little bitter..... because I've been working and developing partnerships and getting known (I do supply teaching) building a reputation with different schools... and I know that once he finishes we'll have to move out of this are and into somewhere where he can get work... so I'll have to start all over again.

But we'll cross that bridge then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    My husband started studying the year we fell pregnant. But it has been a loooooong long road and he isn't finished yet. Hopefully he should be finished the end of 2014...

It can be done, but it's not always easy. And there are many things that get in the way.. for example, last year in second semester he couldn't finish ANY of his subjects... because I was working full-time and the baby was sick for 12 weeks and couldn't attend childcare.

And having babies is stressful, so he'd often end up dropping subjects the semester a baby was born, which dragged out his degree.

And not only that, but what I'm facing now is I'm becoming a little bitter..... because I've been working and developing partnerships and getting known (I do supply teaching) building a reputation with different schools... and I know that once he finishes we'll have to move out of this are and into somewhere where he can get work... so I'll have to start all over again.

But we'll cross that bridge then.

Oh I know that feeling hahahaha.luckily we live with my partners mum so if we had a baby that was sick and i still needed to work i am sure she would only be too happy to help but i don't think i could make it a common thing.