+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default One income household.

Hi there.
    So basically my partner is going to university and while he does that I am the bread winner. This is all well and good and I don't mind because hopefully it will give us a better future. However we are wanting to try for a family next year and are unsure if we could even manage it.
    I guess what I am wondering is, is anybody else in this situation?
    How were you able to get everything you need for a baby, how can you cut out some costs, is there things you don't really need?
    Any advice or comments is definitely appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: One income household.

Depending on your income you may he entitled to some parenting payment partnered or ftb which will help.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-12-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are a single income family with two (about to be three) children.
    It can be done, I think the key is living within your means. We have a low income but we bought a cheaper house so repayments were more than manageable, we are careful with how we spend our money etc. Babies don't cost that much, there are lot of baby items that really aren't necessary at all and plenty can be bought cheaper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We're currently living off one income and it really comes down to budgeting for everyday expenses.

We were living with my parents when I was pregnant, so didn't have to cut costs for baby items but there are so many things that you don't need.

Only get a cot and bub can go straight into this (a bassinet is such a short term thing and not necessary)
    Cloth diaper, the inital outlay is a bit more but they will be paid off within the first few months that you're not buying sposies
    Commit yourself to breastfeeding, this will save you over a thousand dollars for 12 months
    Buy secondhand; things like prams, swings/bouncers, change tables can be picked up really cheap through ebay or facebook buy/sell pages
    Get a convertible carseat rather than a capsule as capsules don't gt as long of use
    Make your baby food/do blw. Pre-packaged baby food is really expensive

The options are endless, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to buy secondhand/cheaper alternative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We are trying for a baby and this year we were living on one salary (my husbands). It mainly came down to putting a certain amount each month into a savings account. I was also doing bits and pieces part time so anything there went into savings as well. You can get really good deals on baby furniture/clothes etc on gumtree and things. We also saved quite a bit during winter by not using heating very much and just wearing more layers. We cancelled gym membership (just go for a walk instead). Not spending money on soft drinks, squashes, alcohol etc just drinking water - good for you as well!

My advice wold be to make a budget of what you NEED to spend each month then give yourself a little wiggle room so you can still have treats etc - anything else into savings :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t1989 View Post
    Hi there.
    So basically my partner is going to university and while he does that I am the bread winner. This is all well and good and I don't mind because hopefully it will give us a better future. However we are wanting to try for a family next year and are unsure if we could even manage it.
    I guess what I am wondering is, is anybody else in this situation?
    How were you able to get everything you need for a baby, how can you cut out some costs, is there things you don't really need?
    My partner didn't work for 18 months while he was finishing his degree full time, and I worked.

Whether it's viable will of course depend on how much you earn and what your expensies are.

But if you have children, you will have to consider whether you will be satisfied working full time when they are very young, and how much time you can take off. I found I did feel a bit resentful sometimes towards my partner as I missed my son while I was at work.

The actual baby stuff doesn't cost that much. You can buy secondhand stuff and borrow things, and there aren't many ongoing costs, eg. my newborn costs me nothing on a weekly basis as I breastfeeding, use cloth nappies and wipes. the biggest expense of having a baby is the loss of earning potential through not working rather than the baby itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by t1989 View Post
    We were given so many secondhand items thanks to family and friends. We only had to buy the car seat. Also we got a lot from my baby shower.

There are definitely things you don't need or will be able to buy after the baby is born.

Agree with breastfeeding. Commit to it. It isn't easy at the start so prepare yourself and learn about it beforehand.

I started cloth nappies at 10months and really wish I had started earlier because we saved heaps from that.

Also we weren't just on one wage, we were on one apprentice wage. Budgets are great and you have to learn to think about whether you need it now, if it can wait or if you just want it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We are a single earning family of 7 it can be done we just have to stick to a budget and save up for big purchases. There are a lot of things you can go without like Internet, paid tv eating out stuff like that

Thanks
    Reviews

Sell your second car and move to an area where you can walk easily to most/everything. Save on fuel/ insurance/ servicing plus it's exercise.

Co - sleeping (rooming with bub) will cut your elec bills as you only have one room to heat/cool overnight.

Definitely agree with cloth nappies. Little ripples are cheaper MCN and you can buy a variety of inserts from nappybucket.com.au - I'm onto bub #2 with my lot.

You don't need new toys/swings/ clothes. Gum tree and op shops are good for that kind of stuff. Only thing new to get is a car seat - which you can hire out.

Buy a decent strong pram that will last. No point having to replace it after a year. That way you can walk everywhere with it.

Invest in a deep freezer do you can buy and cook in bulk and freeze it.

Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

t1989  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with pp that there is so much you don't need for babies! I also wish I bought everything second hand, there are so many sites on facebook with mums selling old things.