+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Painful blocked ducts & nothing helps!

Firstly - Owwwww!!

Last night I noticed I was really engorged on one side, and I still had a hard lump (about 1cm) after feeding bub at his bedtime.

When I woke at 5am it was even worse, about 2-3cm, so I fed and expressed more than normal all day but it still kept getting worse. Around 4pm today it started getting really painful so I took some panadol and tried to hand express (was at shops without pump), but couldn't get anything out.

Since then I have been using heat before feeding/expressing, ice afterwards and massaging pretty much all the time. The ice helps the pain temporarily but it still keeps getting progressively more painful. (I actually cried from the pain earlier tonight).

The lump has now gotten to around 5cm long and goes all the way from my sternum to my nipple! I can feel the outline of the lump, it is solid as a rock on the sore side but soft on the other side.

I don't have a fever or redness or heat, so I don't think it is mastitis. More like maybe a cluster of blocked ducts?

I spoke to someone at the ABA earlier but she didn't have any more advice than what I have already been doing. Help :'(

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi!

I FINALLY got rid of my sore lumps last night. It took about a week!

DS slept longer than usual and missed a couple of feeds one day. My boob ended up having rock hard lumps and were sooo sore. Usually with massaging and expressing (and more massaging!) I can get them out in a day or two, but this time it took ages!

I think it's just one of the many perks! If it's not mastitis I'd say it'll clear up eventually.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OneWithUnagi For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

See if there is a white dot on your nipple when you are trying to express. It might be a milk blister and milk can't escape. I had similar problem and massage/expressing wouldn't work and lump got progressively bigger - turns out the milk blister was preventing milk from escaping and was just building up... U can go to KellyMom website for treatment - sorry typing with one hand while feeding so can't post the link.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AshleeClaire07 For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You could see a physio who specializes in postnatal health who would massage it out? I imagine it would really hurt though! I almost had to do this with one of mine but it thankfully cleared up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Painful blocked ducts & nothing helps!

Also try and position bub when feeding so that the chin is pointing to the lump which will help massage it during the feed.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    electric toothbrush.... dont laugh, it works

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (13-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    Also try and position bub when feeding so that the chin is pointing to the lump which will help massage it during the feed.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    Yes... This. My GP told me this too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had this the last two Sunday nights/Mondays (not sure if there is a reason for both being the same day but anyway). The outside of my boob was so sure and had lumps. The lc at child health said as long as it wasn't red and I wasn't having fevers etc that it wasn't mastitis but that I needed to get it out.

i was using heat before and during feeds and because mine was on the outside of my boob I was feeding DS using the football hold so his chin was on that side. I was then jumping in the shower whenever possible and using warm water running over it while massaging from the top of my boob down to the nipple in long firm strokes. I did it in the shower because I found using shower gel helped me be able to massage it out.

once you think the lump is gone you could still be sore from all the massaging. I felt like I was almost bruise for a day or so after it.

i found ice pack after feeds and massaging helped. And you could try ibuprofen rather than Panadol as it will help reduce swelling.

as sore as it is you have to keep trying to get it out, or it may turn into mastitis.

oh the lc also told me I could try using green cabbage leaf on the lump. Not the whole breast just the lump. It will make you leak and she said it could affect your supply because it is leaking but not getting stimulated but to just feed on that side twice to the other only once to get it back up.

i bought the cabbage but at the time didn't know she was an lc as it was just luck I got to see her at child health so I didn't use it and I managed to get it out before it got too bad. I was nervous about affecting supply but now I know she is a lc I feel more comfortable that she knows what she is talking about.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Painful blocked ducts & nothing helps!

Thanks for your help all. After a few days of feeding and pumping around the clock, the lumps have gone down a lot. Just a few tiny lumps left, and a bruised feeling (probably from all the action lol!!).
    Thanks again xox

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alphabetsoup For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (14-12-2012)