+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question about ergo, and cool baby carriers/slings

I was hoping for some help with a couple of questions I have about baby carriers.

Firstly, I have an ergo with heart to heart infant insert that I use with 3 week old DS. He loves it and will fall asleep in it straight away (which is great given that he wont sleep in his cot during the day and I need to chase my toddler around), but I am finding it really uncomfortable across the shoulders. Basically, the shoulder straps seem too wide for my shoulders and are almost falling off. It also makes me quite sore across the shoulder blades. I am guessing I might be doing something wrong, but I don't know what!! Anyone got any idea what I could try to make it more comfortable? I used it with DD also, but not when she was really young (she didn't need the infant insert), and I don't remember it being uncomfortable at all.

Secondly, given we are coming into warmer months (I am in Melbourne), can anyone recommend a carrier that's not too expensive that is a little cooler than the ergo? Something that's easy to use for novice baby wearers like me!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

Firstly I would go into a store and ask them to fit your ergo correctly with baby in.
    I didn't buy the ergo as I found it to bulky (are you petite?) I preferred the manduca, lighter and fit better with a cross back option.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (08-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Try crossing your straps over on your back (so that you are clipped up to the opposite clip) and make sure they are tight enough

MummaOJ its funny you say that, a lot of people prefer the manduca to the traditional ergo (as opposed to the newer ergo's which have improved on this) as they have longer straps for waists etc, suiting the bigger person without needing an extention strap
    Thanks for that suggestion! Will give it a try tomorrow. It's just so odd that I dont remember it being an issue when I used to use it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Firstly I would go into a store and ask them to fit your ergo correctly with baby in.
    I didn't buy the ergo as I found it to bulky (are you petite?) I preferred the manduca, lighter and fit better with a cross back option.
    Good idea - if crossing the straps over doesn't work and I cant figure out what else is wrong I will head into our local baby shop to see if they can help. I am 5 foot 3, but not petite all over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think firstly tighten the strap between the shoulder straps, so they don't fall off your shoulder.
    Then if your shoulders are getting sore maybe you have the actual shoulder straps too tight. I have them fairly loose and comfortable, but the hip strap low and very tight on my hips (not my waist) so all the baby's weight is taken there.

Hope that made sense!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry no idea about the ergo but I have a baby bjorn carrier that is made for hot weather it's grey and red mesh but I can't remember the name of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would invest in a lightweight wrap like the bali breeze.
    you can slowly start practising, also you get different types of carries so as she gets older, you can back carry, use as a ring sling, carry her on your chest facing you or carry her on your chest facing out if you want.
    they come with instructions (some water wraps you can actually swim with too!) and the internet is full of demonstration videos.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (21-12-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think firstly tighten the strap between the shoulder straps, so they don't fall off your shoulder.
    Then if your shoulders are getting sore maybe you have the actual shoulder straps too tight. I have them fairly loose and comfortable, but the hip strap low and very tight on my hips (not my waist) so all the baby's weight is taken there.

Hope that made sense!
    This.

I find if I adjust my shoulder straps first, my back strap usually falls into place into a more natural position and I don't have to adjust it much more.

I keep mine firm but not too tight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (21-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post

Hope that made sense!
    Thanks for this post - I think maybe did have the shoulder straps too tight and it was what was hurting and making them fall off my shoulders. It seems to sit much better if I tighten the strap between the shoulder straps first and leave the actual shoulder straps a bit looser as suggested! I didn't end up trying the straps crossed over as it seems to be working much better now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh good! Glad it's better now.