+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Losing weight with insulin resistance?

How did you do it? How long did it take?
    My weight just doesn't seem to budge no matter what i do.
    I started a fast 4 days ago in the hope i would lose something. I'm going to keep at it for as long as i can and hopefully i will lose something. I have about 20kgs to lose until i get to my ideal weight.

So any tips or strategies you've used to get the weight to budge?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Losing weight with insulin resistance?

Cut out all sugar, simple carbs (think white bread, pasta, etc), and all processed foods.

Ie i lived off vegies, eggs, nuts, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (08-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

I've been living off mainly salads, having fruit and nuts as snacks, occassionally have wholemeal bread and pasta.
    If anything i gained more weight when stricter with my diet.
    Fasting might be the only way??
    I know i need to get more active as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Best way to do it I say I eat low GI, this way you won't have to cut out any food groups which makes it hard. Also open a 'myfitnesspal' account and then find a form of exercise you like. I found swimming to burn lots of calories fast, it also is a whole body work out and it's not high impact. It really helped me unwind and relax too. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I went to a dietician who helped me work out a diet that worked for me and also suited my lifestyle.
    It can be expensive, but worth the personal attention and solutions :-)
    Good luck!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think that this is my trouble. In the past I did a low carb, no bread, pasta, potato, cous cous etc, but very high protein diet and I lost 27kgs. And then I gained 17 of it back grrr. I didn't find it to be something that I could sustain in maintenance mode.

I am currently doing the 8 week Zumba challenge and despite the increase in my activity and the changes that I have made to my diet I am struggling to shift much weight at all. This time I have been aiming for low gi and I am now wondering if the previous low carb diet has changed something making it harder to lose weight.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I went to a dietician who helped me work out a diet that worked for me and also suited my lifestyle.
    It can be expensive, but worth the personal attention and solutions :-)
    Good luck!!!
    I've actually thought this would be a good idea. I struggle with the whole low GI foods and limiting carbs as i'm a vegetarian. It's basically the bulk of what my diet would usually consist of.

Do you need to get a referal from a GP or can you directly contact one?

Thanks
    Reviews

You can get a referral from a GP in very limited circumstances and get some help from Medicare, but most people just go as a private patient. If you have Private Health they may pay for part of your consultation too.
    I am veg as well, and pregnant so I really wanted some solid advice and guidance. I am 14 weeks now, and have not gained any weight. (though that will soon start to change :-))
    I have had 4 appointments over the last 10 weeks and I have been very happy with the advice and support I have received.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    You can get a referral from a GP in very limited circumstances and get some help from Medicare, but most people just go as a private patient. If you have Private Health they may pay for part of your consultation too.
    I am veg as well, and pregnant so I really wanted some solid advice and guidance. I am 14 weeks now, and have not gained any weight. (though that will soon start to change :-))
    I have had 4 appointments over the last 10 weeks and I have been very happy with the advice and support I have received.
    Thanks, i definitely look into it. I gained 20 odd kilos throughout both pregnancies but was a healthy weight to start with both times. I didn't develope insulin resistance or have any weight problems unitl after DS2 was born.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have PCOS?