+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 41 weeks and waiting!! What are the chances of labouring at home?

Hi everyone,

I am now 1 week overdue with my first. On the whole, I have had a fairly uneventful pregnancy apart from a few pelvic pain issues.

If I dont have this baby by Monday/Tuesday, the middys are booking me in to be induced on Wednesday.

What are the chances that I will go into labour before then? And if you went over did you still go into labour natuarally ?

I really wanted to avoid being induced but obviously bubs can't stay in there forever!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was 41+3 when I went into labour naturally.

If you and bubs is healthy and fine you can absolutley choose not to be induced when they say. My OBs left it up to me and I choose that if I hadnt gone into labour by 43 weeks, then it was the hospy for me.

OBs was more then happy to do that....all it is is extra checkups for fluid, placenta checks, bubs, etc.

if you dont want to be induced next week just ask if you can push it back to maybe the week after.

It is entirely your choice!!

And I am sure you have been doing it but make sure you take long walks....and be unprepared! That worked for me (I was still packing mine and bubs bag whilst in labour and working in the birth suite!)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

lones  (08-12-2012),ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried every thing to go into labour naturally. The hospital I went to dont like letting u go more than 10 days over. So at 41+3 I got induced and had my DD very early the following morning. Even after having a stretch and sweep at 7 days over nothing happened. There were no signs of bub ever wanting to come out lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bearbug For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 41 weeks and waiting!! What are the chances of labouring at home?

I went 9 days over and did everytjing i could think of that day because i was going to be induced 2 days later. I went for 3 huge walks ate curry and bounced on a gym ball for hours. Just keep trying! Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to youmake3 For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I went into hospital to be induced the next day at 41 weeks but was sent home cause they were too busy and rebooked for 3 days time. 2:30am that morning I started having contractions and bub was born at 5:30pm that day - labour started naturally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went in to labour with my last at 1 week over, the day after a membrane sweep Walking brought it on too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I went into labour the morning of 41+5! I was booked in for induction 42 weeks.
    I gave birth the morning of 41+6

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolakitty For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I went into labour at 40+10 with DD.

If you'd prefer to avoid an induction then there are other options. Don't feel obliged to agree, there are very real risks involved in inductions and more often than not women are not advised of these. My intention is not to scare anyone but to advise that there are risks to inductions and there are alternatives.

Risks:
    I'm trying to find a post with a link to RANZCOG stats about the risks of induction for first time mothers but BH wouldn't let me search for some reason. Off the top of my head the stats are something like:
    - emergency CS 24%
    - assisted delivery - 30%
    Thus bringing the chances of a normal birth to less than 50%. Inductions are often much more painful than spontaneous labours thereby increases your chances of wanting an epi which would lying on your back for labour (not optimal) and birthing on your back (again not optimal and increases chance of tearing).

Alternatives:
    - waiting longer and getting regular monitoring
    - walking
    - acupuncture
    - pregnancy massage with acupressure
    - with DD I told DF that if she wasn't out by Saturday we were going to a particular restaurant that does the BIGGEST deserts you've ever seen and I was going to have one and the calories wouldn't count. Dam it I started labouring on the Friday. So, organise to go out to dinner or something nice with your husband.
    - sit on a fitness ball and gentle bouncing or rocking to optimise baby's position

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

If your both healthy why are they inducing you? We don't all ripen at the same time and there is no difference in outcomes up to 43 weeks. With DD I went to 41+5 with some monitoring at 41. She was born spontaneously at home unassisted her placenta was perfect as was she. My boys were both born at 40+3 spontaneously.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (09-12-2012),ozechick  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

DD1 was 11 days late, DD2 was 5 days late.

I had a membrane sweep done for both and and it worked both times, labour started exactly 12 hours after the membrane sweep both times!

If you really don't want to be induced ( I didn't) then let them know. It just means closer monitoring to ensure bub is still ok in there.

Some people say to book yourself in for a romantic dinner or a bit of pampering or something that you've been wanting to do for a long time (preggy friendly of course!) and bub will make a move just as you're about to get ready to go lol!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

ozechick  (09-12-2012)