+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby Panadol = Sleeplessness?

Hi ladies,

We've just gone through night number 2 of DD2 (almost 9 mo) having a fever due to a virus.

We gave her panadol which brought it down but we noticed about 30 mins later she woke and then rolled around in bed talking>yelling>crying.

Nothing has settled her, even coming into our bed. On both nights it's then taken 2 hours for her settle and go to sleep.

I'm just wondering if it could be the panadol? It's probably a coincidence but I just thought I'd see if anyone else's baby becomes hyper or restless after taking baby panadol.

ETA: DD2 is normally a fantastic night sleeper. She's great at self settling at night, she usually only wakes for feeds and then goes straight to sleep in her cot. She's been unwell before and it's not affected her night sleep.

Thanks
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 08-12-2012 at 07:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Nurofen and generic childrens paracetomol yes but not true blue panadol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found DD was really sleepy after her vaccinations which turned out to be a fever. When I gave her Panadol it brought down the fever but then she wasn't drowsy any more so it appeared that it made her more awake

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmmm maybe that's what happened to my DD cnic, maybe the fever was causing her to be sleepy and then then the fever went away she woke up. Not ideal to have happen in the middle of the night tho!

Panadol makes my eldest DD sleepy and my two girls are like chalk and cheese so it wouldn't surprise me that it has the opposite effect on my youngest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't like to use Panadol in babies, I've heard about studies linking its use in 0-12 month olds and the development of asthma later in life, so I use Nurofen instead. She's probably just feeling sick! There's only so much that medication can do, sometimes they just feel miserable. Medicine doesn't always just make it all magically go away. I've actually researched a bit and in a lot of cases they actually recover quicker if the fever is not treated with medication, and instead allowed to run its course.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Baby Panadol = Sleeplessness?

have you tried Dymadon brand panadol. it helped my DS and always settled him without "knocking" him out like normal panadol.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think DD2 was just feeling unwell and wanted midnight cuddles.

I have never used anything but panadol. I've never tried nurofen as the chemist told me that it can upset little tummies so I always steered clear of it. (I'm a real worry-wart!)

Having said that, of all the Mums I know who use nurofen with their kids have never said that it has caused any tummy issues.

DD1 loves panadol. DD2 detests it! Another polar opposite for my two!