+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dolly Magazine subscription - safe for 12 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I agree that there is some content about keeping boys happy/making them like you etc which does my head in BUT they are going to encounter that stuff elsewhere so perhaps if you skim through each edition and use it to stimulate a bit of conversation with her about those issues you might be able to help counter that.
    I totally agree. Miss12 thinks that big boobs = a boyfriend. If rather she be exposed to other ideas than just that one! Lol!

Thanks
    Reviews

I read dolly as a 12 year old, I think it's a good influence.
    Yes, there is talk of sex in there. But it's always urging girls to wait and teaches about contraception. Its still burned in my mind at the age of 26 lol
    I also remember reading about puberty and finding it so helpful, some things you just can't ask your mum, they get embarrassed.
    12 year olds will think about boys and sex regardless of weather or not they read dolly, that's just the way of the world. At least they can get some sensible information on the topic.
    There is only one section about sex anyway, and yearly they do a special on STDs & contraception. the rest is about friendship, pop music, clothes & school.
    Sorry for the novel but I still support the magazine and would have no issue buying it for DD when she's old enough

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lemons View Post
    I totally agree. Miss12 thinks that big boobs = a boyfriend. If rather she be exposed to other ideas than just that one! Lol!
    Ha, I think my limited dating history is proof that that just ain't so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't. Unless it has changed drastically since I read it 20 years ago. Not because of the sex/body information - that stuff is good. It's the "fashion" parts that I think are inappropriate for an impressionable pre-teen. I can honestly say that magazines like Dolly were a significant contributor to my body and food issues. 20 years on I still remember the sinking feeling I had when I realised that I didn't, and never would, look like the "Dolly cover girl" winner. Something I want to shelter my daughter from for as long as possible (I know she will be exposed to it eventually).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Eko  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I personally wouldn't. Unless it has changed drastically since I read it 20 years ago. Not because of the sex/body information - that stuff is good. It's the "fashion" parts that I think are inappropriate for an impressionable pre-teen. I can honestly say that magazines like Dolly were a significant contributor to my body and food issues. 20 years on I still remember the sinking feeling I had when I realised that I didn't, and never would, look like the "Dolly cover girl" winner. Something I want to shelter my daughter from for as long as possible (I know she will be exposed to it eventually).
    That's a very good point.
    The last time I looked at one, (I got one in a showbag about 3 years ago) they were promoting real girls - models of all sizes. And anti bullying.
    Hopefully they are still doing that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Dolly Magazine subscription - safe for 12 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolakitty View Post
    That's a very good point.
    The last time I looked at one, (I got one in a showbag about 3 years ago) they were promoting real girls - models of all sizes. And anti bullying.
    Hopefully they are still doing that
    They still do
    Girlfriend is another good one, it's very similar but maybe more tame. In saying that, I really don't see any issues with a 12 yr old reading dolly, especially when she's in high school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok so I flicked through dolly whilst doing the groceries. I must say I was pretty happy with the mag, I didn't open the sealed section but looking at the index there wasn't anything concerning.

Those worried about body image issues should flick to page 26 when next at the shops, I was pleasantly surprised.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I will look at girlfriend as well, I remember liking dolly more as a teen but I don't know why

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I bought Dolly and Girlfriend monthly from the time I was about 12 onwards. I was never badly influenced by it.

I think what sticks out to the readers is what they are interested in, so for me it was all about the interviews, make it yourself fashion and beauty tips and posters. The 'sex' stuff didn't really jump out at me because I really wasn't interested in that. Sure I read it, and I'm glad I did have that, because there was no way Mum was going to tell me about oral sex, and Dad sure as hell wasn't, lol.

One thing I really remember well was that ANY sex advice was always written with "Just remember it is illegal to have sex under 16. " "if a boy is saying that you should, don't forget its illegal to do it under 16" "make sure you are emotionally ready and over 16"

It was really really emphasised that sex under 16 is not legal. And had some great articles on saying NO and not feeling like you 'have' to.

I think it's appropriate, maybe 13 rather than 12, but depends on your daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews

i read these around that age and it really helped with the stuff you couldnt ask being to shy etc. and i usually skipped the makeup/modeling bits! lol

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bindi81 View Post
    Ok so I flicked through dolly whilst doing the groceries. I must say I was pretty happy with the mag, I didn't open the sealed section but looking at the index there wasn't anything concerning.

Those worried about body image issues should flick to page 26 when next at the shops, I was pleasantly surprised.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I will look at girlfriend as well, I remember liking dolly more as a teen but I don't know why
    I liked Dolly more too and I think if you don't have an issue with the sealed section (I wouldn't) then get it