+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My Mum did this for my sister when she was about 13, so I was 11 or so. I used to read them too (we shared a room)

(And she didn't actually do the subscription, she just gave her a card that said your magazine of choice once a month for a year- could be a way to get around the gift issue, although is a bit more expensive)

Honestly- reading all that stuff about periods, sex, dating etc helped me a LOT. Even now I'm the one my friends come to for advice about all the same stuff (Not saying I am an expert at all, just that Dolly gave me a kick start in that area!)

I think it's a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dolly Magazine subscription - safe for 12 year old?

I think I started reading Dolly when I was 13, so I think it's a great idea. Agree with PP that it helped with understanding my body and periods etc.

Yes there can be some silly stories in there but I think if your DD has a smart head on her shoulders you'll be right

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember getting 'girlfriend ' mag at that age and my bestie got 'dolly' so we could share. I actually got my niece a subscription last year when she turned 12 and she loved it. I've extended it for this year too.

I learnt so much from those mags- ill never forget reading a story about a pretty 15 year old who OD and died taking an ecstasy tablet. Anna? Anyway it made me never touch any drug of any kind. Just always stayed with me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I know when I started reading them year 7. I had subscription to dolly, girlfriend etc. my mum always just said to me if I wanted to ask about anything that was in them... I could openly without judgement ask her. And I did haha needless to say caught her off guard with some things and she had to get back to me lol

I think it's a good thing! That way she feels comfortable and doesn't have to sneak and read them like I know my friends did! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I don't have a DD, but if I did I would allow her to read Dolly once she is in the first year of high school.

I absolutely adored Dolly as a teen

Thanks
    Reviews

Our Miss turned 12 in Oct this year and still has one more year in primary school but I would let her read Dolly/Girlfriend if she wanted to. I want to have an open, it's okay to talk about anything type relationship with her and so think that having these sorts of magazines and books in the house is totally fine.

I know when I was a tween/teen orgasms and sex were not discussed and puberty was given a basic gloss over and that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would have thought 12 is a bit young for Dolly - I was still reading TV Hits and horse magazines at that age. I didn't get into Dolly til about 14 and a half.

I would be worried about the body image issues that can arise from constant exposure to fashion mags who portray only one size as beautiful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (09-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i remember reading dolly when i was a teenager.
    learnt a lot etc. but the only thing i don't like is the fact that all the models were so thin/perfect etc.
    i think as long as you enforce that models in magazines are actually NOT the norm it's okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPink View Post
    I remember getting 'girlfriend ' mag at that age and my bestie got 'dolly' so we could share. I actually got my niece a subscription last year when she turned 12 and she loved it. I've extended it for this year too.

I learnt so much from those mags- ill never forget reading a story about a pretty 15 year old who OD and died taking an ecstasy tablet. Anna? Anyway it made me never touch any drug of any kind. Just always stayed with me.
    Anna Wood

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that there is some content about keeping boys happy/making them like you etc which does my head in BUT they are going to encounter that stuff elsewhere so perhaps if you skim through each edition and use it to stimulate a bit of conversation with her about those issues you might be able to help counter that.