+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Commuting

Just wondering if anyone has to (or has had to) commute to work an hour or more each day?

I went for a job interview this morning but the job is just over an hours drive away. While I would love the job, I just don't know if I can do the drive every day. It is a full time position so I would have to leave home at 7.15am and arrive back just after 6pm

My girls will be home with DH so that isnt an issue. It's just that it is a long time to be driving each day. Most of the drive is on the freeway. It is still quite likely I won't actually get the job but I want to be prepared just in case

Would love to hear other peoples experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I commute 50 mins in and back from work each day (a 120km round trip).

I leave the house at 6:55am and get home at around 4:50pm.

I guess you could say I'm used to it now. But I am fortunate to be able to just walk out of work at 4.00pm on the dot (no expectations of doing overtime etc).

My DH also looks after our DS while I work (DH works usually 3-4 shifts a week at night or on the weekend).

Would I prefer a shorter commute? Hell yes! But I have a job that I love, I get paid well and the town I live in is surrounded by beautiful beaches - all of this makes the commute worthwhile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I commute about an hour each way. Have done so for ages.
    A lot of it depends on whether you are stuck in traffic or not during the drive. I would rather drive for an hour, without traffic, than be stuck in traffic for an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Commuting

I'm a train commuter.. used to be 1 hour 45 min each way, now its 50 mins each way. Anything more than an hour sucks lol

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Commuting

I've had a couple of jobs that were 1.5 hours each way in the car. You get used to it. If your DH will be home with the kids then do it. Why not.

The furthest I drove for work was 115kms each way (230kms a day). And that was for 3 years. I actually loved that me time.