+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Prem hits due date and is a completly different baby

My little girl was 6 weeks prem, but since she has passed her due date 2 weeks ago, she has become very unsettled, not sleepng well, feeding heaps and any type of routine that we had has flown out the window. I took her to the dr, but nothing wrong with her that they can see. Im just wondering if there is anyone else who has experienced this and if someone could please give me some sight to if it calms down?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi kahu,

I think all babies go through different stages... As soon as you think you have them in a routine, bam! They'll up and change things :-) My dd went through a period of being very unsettled and crying a lot at 1-2 weeks corrected, which unfortunately coincided with us bringing her home! It passed.

Drinking lots is a good thing :-)

The one thing I did have to do with my dd though was adjust my diet. Less chocolate and dairy seemed to help her tummy pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that,... cutting out chocolate is going to be hard! thats my weakness. She has settled down. Thats good to see your DD is going well. it amazing what technology can do for micro prems. She must be incredibly strong!

Thanks
    Reviews

My 25 weeker twins suddenly "woke up" when they hit full term. I remember calling the maternal health line as they wouldn't stop crying in the evenings and wanted to feed all evening and was totally unsettled (but totally fine during the day). She explained that they was "behaving like a normal term babies" instead of sleepy premmies"!! Kind of reassuring, I guess ;-)
    It settled down eventually but we spent a good few months pacing the lounge room/carrying a baby each every evening between 7 and midnight during their "crazy time", as that was what kept them the calmest!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to read others have experience a change with their bub when they reached term. DS was born 30+5 and is nearly 3 weeks corrected. We had two weeks of a great calm relaxed happy baby over Christmas. Once his due date approached he became a very windy baby.
    He has now developed a cold (thanks to a visit to the GP) which is horrible to see and hear, after being to the ED at this stage all we can do is monitor his cold at home and take him back if he gets worse. Have any one elses prem's had a cold around 12 weeks or 3 weeks corrected. How did you handle it??
    Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Prem hits due date and is a completly different baby

Hi k n I,

My lo didn't get a cold, but we have been battling thrush for over one month, and now heat rash. It is scary because you kjow how weak their little bodies are. I hope your lo gets better soon.
    As for developmental stages, I downloaded the wonder weeks app and it works on your lo due date, I have found this benificial. I need to stop comparing my lo to other babies.

Doc, yes my lo woke up too, and i now realise this is normal, and i hear you about putting her down and walking out. In hospital, I was lucky enough to stay in until she could be discharged and she roomed in with me, I thought I had the best baby on the ward because she never cried and all she did was sleep! She is now 15 weeks and 9 weeks adjusted, and she is developing a loud cry when she is really upset, but still no where as loud a few of friends NB Bubs!

Sent from my GT-P6810 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kahu and Doc,
    Thankyou for your responses. Bub has still managed to put on 150grams in 5 days while being sick, making him 2650. Which is a big relief. Nearly over his cold, thank goodness.
    Sorry to hear that your little one has heat rash and thrush. For nappy rash i have found Paw Paw cream to be the best, im not sure if it would work on Heat rash, possibly not. Hopefully it will be better soon.
    I will have a look for the wonder weeks app.
    Cheers,

Thanks
    Reviews

My boy also woke up once he hit due date. (5 weeks prem)
    Strange thing was he has quite severe reflux and it didn't bother him until he came to his due date...then the screaming started and didn't stop until meds kicked it. And it was literally smack bang on his due date!
    Once he hit his due date and the screaming stopped, it was like he was storing all the things he learnt to do and he's advancing earlier than expected with a few milestones.