+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to try start a routine with a newborn? I'm a bit lost...

Hey ladies,

So I have a 7 year old, a 1 year old and a 6 day old. My DH has to work tonight so it will be my first afternoon/night alone with all 3. Which got me thinking about routine. Ds1 is easy, but ds2 has his routine but when and how do I start one with DD? When is she ready? How do I make it work with DS2's?

How on earth will I do this?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When to try start a routine with a newborn? I'm a bit lost...

The only routine I had with my son to start with was a bedtime one. It took a couple of weeks to figure out the right order for him but we ended up doing BFB, bath feed bed. We didn't have set times, we just did it at whatever time his "last feed" was. By last feed, I mean whatever feed was his 6th or so for the day. Sometimes this was at 6 pm, sometimes 11 pm. Of course he would still wake for a feed at night but he ended up sleeping through at 6 weeks.
    Everything else was kept very loose. He went by his own routine of feed, play, sleep. He eventually stayed awake longer and slept less during the day. I never forced him to sleep when he didn't want to or keep him up when he didn't want to.
    I think the most important thing is to not go by the clock. Babies create their own clock so go by that instead if you can.
    All babies are different though so what works for one won't work for others.
    Good luck, hope you find a routine that works for you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh, and we started his bedtime routine as soon add we got home from hospital when he was a week old

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

I'm wondering about this too. DS is 9 weeks old and so far we only have a bedtime routine. I have no idea how to even get him to a routine for the day. We just do the sleep, feed, play, sleep routine so far which seems to work most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

What do you guys do for the bedtime
    Routine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm struggling with this too. Great question Neekie.
    I want to start a night time routine with bath etc but not sure what feed to start that with. My bub sleeps sometimes 2 hours sometimes 4. I just go by her she's only about two weeks old.
    But I would like a routine of sorts.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We've started a bed time routine as soon as we've been home from the hospital with both kids. DD cluster feeds from about 5-9, and DS has his bath and stories and into bed from 6.30-7.30, so DD's bedtime routine has fallen in with that- at 8.30 she has a bath once DS is asleep, then a very short massage followed by a big long feed to sleep after which she and I both go to bed! As she gets older the routine will get longer- longer in the bath and a longer massage. And we'll try to move it back so eventually both kids go down together.

Daytime routine I didn't even think about with DS until he was much older and falling into one naturally- around 3 months when he was having 3 distinct naps per day.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 10-12-2012 at 21:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I frequently put both girls to bed as DH is a shift worker. I've been doing this since dd2 was born.

5pm dinner for the toddler and bf baby
    5.30 read stories to toddler as bf baby
    6.15 bath baby then dress baby. Pop toddler in bath as baby gets massaged.
    6.30pm. Dress and bf baby in bath room or just outside.
    As soon as bubs is asleep pop in bassinet or sling if unsettled.
    6.45/55pm get toddler out of bath, dress etc
    7-7.15 cuddle toddler to sleep.
    7.30 go back to bf baby if needed.

Day patterns sort themselves out at 12-15wks.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 10-12-2012 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

We let DD dictate her own routine as much as we could. We did the bath at roughly the same time each night, depending on her pattern for the day, and then put her down in her bassinet or cot. All feeds from that point were in our bed or her room with little distraction/light/noise so she would start to understand night time is for sleep.

We didn't start trying to work things to particular times until she was close to 12mo and she kind of did it herself. At 16mo we're still not strict on time and will put her down for her day nap and bed for the night when she's showing the signs, which happens to be quite predictable these days.

Routines for new babies are a sequence of events not a time on the clock. I know it must be harder with other kids as you need to work around them but I'm sure you'll find your groove