+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting offered a job whilst pregnant

So as the title suggests have any of you been offered a job while in early stages of pregnancy? I went for a job interview about 3 weeks ago and got a call back today and have been offered the job. I also just found out that I am pregnant a few days ago, I'm only about 5-6 weeks.
    The job is only a casual position but I don't know if I should tell the manager before accepting the job? Im not sure legally if I have to let her know or not?
    I also have horrible morning sickness (not vomiting but just feeling sick all day) how do you cope working with morning sickness?
    Thankyou in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you have to legally say anything until 12 weeks before you want to go on maternity leave.
    O had to quit due to all day sickness. No throwing up just super nausea till 18 weeks when it disappeared.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Getting offered a job whilst pregnant

Do you need the job/money ?

If you do I'd take the job, I'm not sure when you have to tell your employer that you are pregnant but I think most people wait till after their 12 week scan.

I had been working at my new job for about 8 weeks and got pregnant. I started off as casual and they had just put me to part time when I found out. I felt a little bit bad but I really need the job and income.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydogs View Post
    I don't think you have to legally say anything until 12 weeks before you want to go on maternity leave.
    O had to quit due to all day sickness. No throwing up just super nausea till 18 weeks when it disappeared.
    Oh okay, I didn't think so!
    That's what I'm worried about aswell, I am basically bed ridden at the moment and obviously have no idea how long this will last! I would hate to turn up to a job feeling (and probably looking) horrible the whole time!
    I really don't know what to do!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by maybenumber3 View Post
    Do you need the job/money ?

If you do I'd take the job, I'm not sure when you have to tell your employer that you are pregnant but I think most people wait till after their 12 week scan.

I had been working at my new job for about 8 weeks and got pregnant. I started off as casual and they had just put me to part time when I found out. I felt a little bit bad but I really need the job and income.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Well not really, I mean the extra money would be good but we are managing fine at the moment! I feel bad too because I know she has struggled to find someone to fit the position and obviously she thinks I am right for the job so I'd feel like I'm letting her down!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Getting offered a job whilst pregnant

I say talk to the boss. Maybe they just want someone for a short while anyway. If you don't need the job, no hard feelings

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

When I was utd with DD I had just started a new job but had the worst MS due to twin pregnancy. They thought I had a drug problem, as I spent a lot of time in the bathroom! Once I told them they kept asking when I thought I would leave... Believing I would leave early with twins, I couldn't tell them as I didn't have a crystal ball... So they sacked me a week before my probation finished, blaming my work ethic... Which was a lie! I then lost one twin
    I then went through an agency looking for contract work and was lucky enough at 4 mths to land a great role.... Only to have my dd at 26weeks and work said come back whenever I liked... Happy to extend my contract! Felt very lucky... But was unable to ever go back due to dd ongoing health issues.
    So I think it all depends on the company and role... Is it a job they invest a lot of training into? Are they a female friendly environment? Will you want to return to this role after maternity leave?
    Honesty often works best... It not like you can hide it for too long!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Missbean View Post
    I say talk to the boss. Maybe they just want someone for a short while anyway. If you don't need the job, no hard feelings

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub
    Thankyou! I just called her and she was really excited for me and completely understanding! She said she is very flexible and willing to work around me and the amount of hours I can manage! She is even willing to hire another person so we can do half the hours each!
    I'm so glad I was honest!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to haveheart For This Useful Post:

angelini  (07-12-2012),cluckcluck  (07-12-2012),Missbean  (07-12-2012),nelle7250  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pickledpink View Post
    When I was utd with DD I had just started a new job but had the worst MS due to twin pregnancy. They thought I had a drug problem, as I spent a lot of time in the bathroom! Once I told them they kept asking when I thought I would leave... Believing I would leave early with twins, I couldn't tell them as I didn't have a crystal ball... So they sacked me a week before my probation finished, blaming my work ethic... Which was a lie! I then lost one twin
    I then went through an agency looking for contract work and was lucky enough at 4 mths to land a great role.... Only to have my dd at 26weeks and work said come back whenever I liked... Happy to extend my contract! Felt very lucky... But was unable to ever go back due to dd ongoing health issues.
    So I think it all depends on the company and role... Is it a job they invest a lot of training into? Are they a female friendly environment? Will you want to return to this role after maternity leave?
    Honesty often works best... It not like you can hide it for too long!
    Good luck
    Oh gosh that first job sounds horrible! Sorry you had to go through that and losing a baby too, just horrible!
    I was lucky that this manager is totally understanding and even seems more excited than I am at this point!! I guess I shouldn't just assume what the outcome will be but I'm glad she us flexible and willing to work with me on it! She did say there is a probationary period of 3 months too so hopefully I can stick it out and work there again after the baby is born!

Thanks
    Reviews

So happy for you... You can enjoy these next few months now and not feel like you have to hide your own joy!
    Good luck with everything