+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2yo wakes in hysterics

DS often wakes in the morning and from his day nap in complete hysterics and it's really starting to worry me. He gets plenty of sleep - between 10-12 hours overnight and usually a 1.5 hr day nap. This morning he woke at 5.20 (which is pretty normal) and as soon as I went into him he threw himself back down in his cot and it started. I got him out and had to put him on the floor and now 45 minutes later he's still going.

It's like an ordinary tantrum (kicking, screaming etc), but he also goes into this strange place where he gets a very blank look on his face and his eyes just stare - like there's no-one home. Nothing I do helps - if I go near him, pick him up or talk to him he gets worse, if I leave him alone he gets worse. It usually lasts about 30 mins but can go anywhere up to 40/50 minutes and happens probably 4-5 days of the week. When he comes out of it on his own accord he's very chirpy and talky and normal - it's all a bit 'manic'.

I get his normal tantrums as there's usually a trigger, but this worries me as there doesn't seem to be any triggers. Has anyone else's LO been through something similar? I feel like it's definately not normal, but don't know where to start looking if he needs help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Dd1 used to do these in the middle of the night. We worked out that she was actually having a nightmare but was still asleep. I used to wipe her face with a wet face washer to wake her up and then she would be ok. She grew out of it in a couple of months.

Have you started TT? Cos sometimes the crying was cos she needed to wee but couldn't verbalise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rose&Aurelia - he also used to do this in the night and it was like he wasn't awake (but his eyes were open), but he's stopped doing it at night, it's just in the morning and after his daynap. When he does it now he's definately awake, but it's like no-one is home. I do wonder if he has nightmares, or if he's waking up disoreintated. We haven't started TT yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My DS does this also, he's 18 months. Daycare think its like a night terror where they are caught in this funny sleep awake transition like a night terror.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep, our DS occasionally does this too, but only during the night. Completely hysterical, won't talk, and asking him questions makes it worse.

We figure it's just a result of a bad dream and being disoriented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DS used to go this at that age. I know I was really worried, but in the end he grew out of it.
    Sometimes I could soothe him, often I had to leave him alone to work through it himself.
    Hugs to you. It's a tough one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I really hope he grows out of it, we start nearly every day with a half hour tantrum, it's really starting to get me down.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD used to do it in the night. I would go in to her half asleep myself if I heard her cry, she was actually still asleep. Me waking her up mid sleep cycle was what seemed to start it off. Now I just leave her unless she actually calls out using words or is obviously awake and that solved the hysterics. During the actual tantrum she appeared to be awake though, it seemed to be in response to being woken mid cycle/dream.
    Last edited by bezzy; 12-12-2012 at 16:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: 2yo wakes in hysterics

Sounds like a night terror to me. Is he getting his 2yr molars by any chance? My youngest gets night terrors and they are worse at the moment because his molars are trying to come through.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

December we start early too and I wouldn't dismiss that this is a tantrum. I think it started as a funny night terror type thing but I have found as soon as he's about to enter this "state" if I out Tomas the tank on and cuddle him, after 5 mins he's awake and interacting fine. Maybe try that. A cold face washer or a walk out the front in the cool morning air. I think distraction is the key word here.