+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Damage to pelvic floor during birth or after?

Hi, I had my DS2 on Sat night with a relatively straight forward VBAC. Small labial tear and graze and some internal stitches. For the first day or two, I had pain from the graze but nothing else. Then on Monday (so 1.5days after birth), I had my first err umm tmi, poo. I supported the perineum and it didn't hurt, but I think I let go too quickly as when i let go it felt like my insides all jumped on my perineum! It took my breath away. Since then I have felt bruised and sore all around my bum and vulva. It hurts to sit sometimes too. I get the same impact type sensation when I cough now, although I didn't for the first day and a half after birth. It hurts to walk sometimes (after been up for a while) and the pain is also in the tops of my hamstrings, although this could be from labour I suppose.

Does it sound like I've damaged the pelvic floor, or just bruised the area? I feel stupid as it seems my pelvic floor and perineum were fine after birth, but then I've caused damage by not being careful enough!

Anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to feel better?

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Damage to pelvic floor during birth or after?

I had 2 v births and was pretty much the same for a few days after each one. if you think about it your v goes through a traumatic experience. If you bump your arm you bruise. You just had another human being get pushed through your v. I'm guessing its bruising but make sure you do some pelvic floor exercisers when your ready to.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I would say bruising as well You have described exactly how I felt after my vaginal birth. I didnt tear but I did have an episiotomy (sp?) so I had stitches. I was quite sore for a few days and tender for a few weeks. If it got a bit much I took some panadol and always made sure I sat on a really soft chair or cushion so I wasnt putting too much pressure on down there while it was still tender. Once the tenderness went and I was comfortable I started doing my pelvic floor exercises. But if you are ever really concerned talk to your gp

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still surprised what the female body can go through and how we still don't learn to give it time to recover
    I had episiotomy/forceps with my DD. I left hospital the next morning but by day 3 the swelling/bruising was so bad it felt like I had a scrotum! Too much info sorry but no other way to describe it! Health nurse came to visit that morning, said it wasn't uncommon, to have salt baths and rest, by next day it had gone down. I think I'd just overdone it. Perhaps you just need to rest a bit more (if you can) till it heals a bit more?
    I was useless at remembering to do pelvic floor exercises, oops

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at ease. It's like I assumed because I had a v birth and not a c section that I should b up and running!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I did have a bad tear after my last vb, but I was also pretty surprised at how rubbish I felt after... I wasn't expecting it. I'd also had 1.5 hrs pushing and ventouse extraction, and I think all the pushing doesn't help with the swelling etc! I found I kept using ice packs whenever I lay down at home after I was d/c and that helped too. I think it's all pretty normal, just uncomfortable! Rest up and you'll be fine, just give it time

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub