+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hep B injection at birth

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I didnt do it with the last two dont see the point, with my first 3 I jsut did what I was told to do figured the dr.s knew best I dont see why we would give any STD vaccine to any kids until much later in life, maybe 12 or 13
    STD vaccine????? :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did hep B and vitamin K shot at birth .. Why .. Because I know it's right ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We got hep b at birth. We don't have any particular risk factors but I saw no point in delaying until 2 months.

Eta- it's not a vaccine but we got vit k at birth too. I know you can get an oral version but from what I read on the subject, the injection is more effective so that's what we got. We also delayed cord clamping.
    Last edited by Atropos; 07-12-2012 at 10:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by harry308 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to ask if someone could tell me the reason for waiting until the 2 month needles to give the first Hep B and if it is not so much necessary at birth, why is it needed at 2 months? This is my first pregnancy and my GP hasn't discussed vaccinations yet and I'm a little confused by it all.
    My research told me it was uneccesary and I didn't feel comfortable welcoming my baby to the world with two injections!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you for all the information guys. Definitely worth thinking about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I won't be giving hep-b at birth although will be giving vit-k and my hospital does delayed cord clamping as standard.

As has been mentioned previously, it's a 3 step vaccination process to be immunised against hep b and those injections are included with later vaccinations anyway. I guess it terms of the 'why is it necessary at the 2 month vax' question, it's much like any other vaccine. The chance of your child contracting it may be slim but it's included as part of the schedule to try and reduce/eradicate the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hep B can in rare cases be spread by an infected child biting (and drawing blood) of a non infected child so whilst I hope your preschoolers aren't having sex I know both my girls have been bitten at both play group and crèche and sadly my 1 year old is a biter. Hep B is not solely spread through sex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have written, the biggest reason is mother-child transmission.

We chose to do Hep B at birth for both our kids, as my occupation makes me (and my brother in law) high risk.

If that had not been the case we might have delayed the first one until 2 months, depending on the circumstances. Although I suspect we'd have done it anyway given that I've not seen any evidence of additional risk for the birth shot.

Keep in mind that Hep B is a widespread disease, and apart from sex/blood-blood contact it's quite plausible for it to be contracted through biting etc through child-child contact.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was the giving of a needle at birth or specifically the Hep B that some are against. I can see why some babies might be more at risk of getting Hep B than others.