+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I and my GP don't think hep b is required at birth so i chose not to give it to my 2 children at birth and they just got it at their 2, 4 and 6month needles like everyone else. Missing that one at birth doesn't affect the immunisation schedule at all

Just if you choose not to give it be prepared for ever nurse that comes in to say 'we will go get that hep b ready for bub' and you have to say no and go through your reasons again because they can't read it on your chart obviously lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hep B injection at birth

Our whole family including me is vaccinated so I fail to see the point, I delay it until the first lot of jabs at 2 mth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We didn't do it at birth. I couldn't see the reason for it. We also did oral vit k - I read that it may not be as effective as the injection, but we did delayed cord clamping and so I felt the risk was very small.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (06-12-2012),threeatlast  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We won't be giving Hep B at birth and also will be giving oral Vit K and having a delayed cord cutting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just wanted to ask if someone could tell me the reason for waiting until the 2 month needles to give the first Hep B and if it is not so much necessary at birth, why is it needed at 2 months? This is my first pregnancy and my GP hasn't discussed vaccinations yet and I'm a little confused by it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PR2bMum View Post
    We won't be giving Hep B at birth and also will be giving oral Vit K and having a delayed cord cutting.
    ^ We did this with DS2. I didnt know about any of it with DS1. (ETA: we gave vit K injection)
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 06-12-2012 at 23:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by harry308 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to ask if someone could tell me the reason for waiting until the 2 month needles to give the first Hep B and if it is not so much necessary at birth, why is it needed at 2 months? This is my first pregnancy and my GP hasn't discussed vaccinations yet and I'm a little confused by it all.
    It's part of the vaccinating schedule for babies. I think by delaying it you just allow your bub to get a bit bigger and stronger before you put the vaccine in. Well, that is my simplistic view on it.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still going back and forth between decisions... Hopefully my mind will be set by time baby comes. My parents have various strains of hepatitis, not b but it's still playing on my mind. Not that they'll be sharing bodily fluids!!!!

I'll be delaying the cord being cut as well. I didn't realise that affected the vitamin k, thank you all for informing me!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    I didn't give it, it's ridiculous to give a newborn an immunisation for an STD unless they have a family member with it. My midwife even told me not to get it. I will probably give it to him when he reaches school age
    You do know its a blood borne virus and you don't have to have sx to get it?

You would be amazed just who in our community is at risk of contracting this awful virus. Nurses, police, teachers, ambos, cleaners etc. though the risk is low, it's still a risk.

I have no issue with the delay as such, but wish people had a better understanding of the seriousness of such a disease.

They have been vaccinating members of surf life saving clubs for at least 25 years (when mine was done) and I was a small child.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bellibean For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (07-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt do it with the last two dont see the point, with my first 3 I jsut did what I was told to do figured the dr.s knew best I dont see why we would give any STD vaccine to any kids until much later in life, maybe 12 or 13

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Hep B injection at birth

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I didnt do it with the last two dont see the point, with my first 3 I jsut did what I was told to do figured the dr.s knew best I dont see why we would give any STD vaccine to any kids until much later in life, maybe 12 or 13
    Hep b is NOT strictly and sti, it is spread by blood contact.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub