+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cot or bassinette ?

I really can't decide. Should I buy a bassinet now and buy the cot later when the baby has grown out of it? Or save mysel money and just buy
    The cot Instead.
    The baby will sleep in our room regardless, until I feel comfortable with it being in the next room. If we move our bed over a little bit, I will be able to fit the cot next to my side of the bed with just enough space to stand beside it.
    There is a sale - a love n care bassinet with mattress and sheets/blanket for $100 or a nz timber sleigh cot that converts to toddler bed and day bed with mattress and toddler side rail & sliding draw underneath for $280. The sale ends soon and I'm trying to decide right now which to buy :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got both... I know I didn't need both but because it was my first baby I thought oh well! We can always move the bassinet into the lounge, upstairs to my MIL area. (we live with her and have separate living quarters). I'll be keeping it for when we have next bubs too.

It is really personal choice

3. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

JessicaBailey  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'd go with the cot as you'll get more use with that in the long run.... a bassinet you only use for the first 6 - 8 weeks where as with a cot you can short sheet it so that bubs feet are touching the base and there is no chance of bubs wriggling under the sheets and over all get more use out of it.

if you really want a bassinet though why not get a portacot with one built into it and use that for the first few weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm still using my bassinette DS is 8 weeks, I find it so handy! It would be such a pain having to get up and go in his room whereas now I just pick him up change his nappy quick feed in bed they put him back in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

I had both. Found a 2nd hand bassinet in good condition and put a new mattress in it and bought the cot new.

I loved the bassinet as it didn't take up too much room in our bedroom (no way would we fit a cot in there!). It was on wheels so could also move bub around the house if we needed too. He was in it until he was 6 months old and by then he was rolling so we thought it was better for him to be in his cot with more space to roll around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask what pram your going to be purchasing OP? I know with my pram I could have gotten an attachment to make my bassinet to have legs in the living room. (I hope I am making sense) LOL.

Like a complete travel system. So you could save money there depending on what pram you get I have an emmy though

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/winds...and/1010076556

Like this but the cover is off of course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Cot or bassinette ?

I used the bassinet for the first 3 or so months, maybe longer as he was so small!

They both sound like good deals maybe just think about how much room you are going to want to get around your room.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bassinets are a good item to borrow I you know anyone willing. Just buy a new mattress (around $20 from big w).

We had both a bassinet and a cot (plus a portacot)....we co-sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had both a bassinett and cot for DS. The bassinet was great because I could move it around the house during the day to wherever I was (I liked to keep an eye on him in the early days!).

DS was smallish and a late roller, so we got about 5 or 6 months use out of the bassinet. The only problem was then trying to get him used to another sleeping environment - the cot. He was sleeping pretty badly at the time we moved him into cot (still in our room) anyway, so I didn't notice a huge difference, but just be aware that changes to their sleeping environement can upset them a little. So instead of moving from cot to big bed, they'd have to move from bassinet to cot to big bed.

I'm considering not using the bassinet this time around to cut out one of the moves BUT I'm now too scared to move DS into a big bed to use his cot because he sleeps so well!!

It's such a personal choice, but if I had my time again I would just go with cot and get a cheapish moses basket thing that can be moved around easily for day sleeps when bub is tiny.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 06-12-2012 at 12:08.