+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The Science of Immunisation - a new document from the Australian Academy of Science

Three things we KNOW about immunisation and vaccinating:

1. It's a highly contentious topic among parents;
    2. There's an awful lot of incorrect information about it on the Internet; and
    3. Rates of vaccination in Australia are dropping.

So, in the interests of helping other parents make informed decisions about the health of their families, I'm posting this link to a very new document published by the Australian Academy of Science, called 'The Science of Immunisation: Questions and Answers':

http://www.science.org.au/policy/immunisation.html

It's endorsed by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians and Australian Medical Association, so I expect we'll be seeing copies around doctors' offices soon.

NOTE: I haven't started this thread with the intention of sparking another heated debate about immunisation. However, as a journalist whose profession intrinsically means hours spent on the Internet, I am constantly amazed and occasionally outraged by how much incorrect information - including on the topic of immunisation - is published online and how much of it is accepted as fact. Clearly, so too is the local medical profession, hence the release of this document. I found it very helpful and hope other parents do too, whether you vaccinate your children or not.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-12-2012),dancingchipmunk  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Seems vaccination is the topic of the day eh?
    Thanks, I read this document a week or so ago. Unfortunately some of it (like risk assessments) don't take into consideration personal opinion and they are only giving us the information they want to give us- eg. The Community At Large Benefits (talking about herd immunity) doesn't talk about the possible negative effects of herd immunity like the medical accepted theory about varicella vaccination increasing the incidence of herpes zoster in the community, which is expected to cause death and additional costs to the community in the way of increased costs to our medicare/hospital systems...

IMO giving parents the ability to make informed decisions in relation to vaccination is about giving them all the facts, not just those chosen for us that suit an agenda.
    I hadn't heard of this side-effect from the chicken pox vaccine - if it's as bad as it sounds, then it's a bit of a worry... But without meaning to sound condescending or disbelieving, are you able to provide a link to the study/research that proves this? This is part of the point I'm trying to make - we need to be able to back up what we say (ie cite our references/research) on the Internet - otherwise someone may read something like this and come to a decision without being duly informed.
    Last edited by SeaShanty; 06-12-2012 at 14:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, Missie Mack - I really appreciate that and I'm sure other parents do to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaShanty For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    It isn't a new medical theory, infact it was first suggested in the 1950s by Hope-Simpson that exposure to naturally obtained varicella boosts ones immunity to varicella. This formed a big part of the reason why the UK decided against introducing the varicella vaccine.
    Varicella Vaccination in England and Wales- cost utility analysis

It was considered by the Australian government when it was introduced but disregarded on the belief that the vaccine is not as effective as predicted
    This is what they said about the scenerio

It was also assessed between June 2005 and June 2007 there were:
    2787 hospitalisations for varicella with 10 deaths (8 of these aged 60 or greater and 1 under 4)
    During the same time there were:
    10506 hospitalisations for Shingles (Herpes Zoster) and 34 deaths (33 of these aged 60 or more)

Source: Communicable Disease Intelligence Volume 34 Supplement, 2010
    Australian Department of Health
    This has formed part of the discussions we've had with all the different medical fields we have approached about vaccinations. Thank you for putting it together as you have for others, I'm not good at sharing information like that for other people to see so clearly.