+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Champix and birth defects??

Hi my DH is wanting to give Champix a go to quit smoking, a few guys he works with are doing it and they havent had a cigarette for weeks. My worry is that we are TTC and if he starts taking the tabs is there any risk of birth defects. He hasnt been to the Dr yet as he works away but i'm a little worried that if he starts taking it before we conceive there could be problems, waiting for him to start taking it and then how long for I dont know? but i'm 40 and dont want to keep leaving my run too late. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on the subject. TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Champix and birth defects??

I wouldn't say it would be an issue, consider the amount of medications people take, blood thinners, anti depressants, diabetic drugs, even some people take illegal drugs. I don't really think it would have a negative effective on his sperm. But if you are worried could he try other methods such as patches?

Anyway I googled it and this is all I found

Conception whilst partner is on Champix
    Question: Hi, my husband and I want to start trying for a baby. I stopped taking Champix approximately 2 weeks ago, my husband is still taking the Champix. Do we need to wait for him to cease taking them before we start trying? K.H. (Australia)

Answer: The issue of the use of Champix (or Chantix as is otherwise known) in pregnancy is something we have discussed here a few times. You are quite right in that anybody planning to get pregnant and actively trying to do so should not be on Champix. Your stopping is therefore the right move. The contraindication extends to the time of pregnancy itself as well as breast-feeding. When it comes to the partner using Champix at this time, the advice is not so clear-cut. For it to have an adverse effect on the baby, Champix will have to have a negative effect on the quality of the sperm produced. No such evidence exists. However, this is not a subject that has has been specifically studied and Champix has been in use for smoking cessation for under 5 years so we may not have the final word on this.

Champix is a partial agonist of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtype α4β2 in the brain. That is its main area of action. It works by binding to this receptor without creating a full nicotine effect on the release of the brain chemical dopamine. The generic name for Champix is Varenicline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BDL, I guess i should have consulted DR Google hmm just been reading other threads and there has been comments about moods and stuff, i guess one bonus for me is he works away 2wks at a time lol if he cracks a fruity when on the phone i can just hang up