Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    15% Percentage of Aboriginal Australians who are long-term, risky or high risk drinkers. Same figure for non-Indigenous Australians: 14% [27].
    Is this per capita?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i'm all in agreement for communities making a decision in their best interests.

what i don't like is if a decision is made for me - once again, we are not 'responsible' for our own decisions.
    whether it's cask wine (some of which is actually quite expensive), alcopops, cheap bottles of brandy or port - it's about being an adult and taking responsibility.
    i'd rather see money funnelled into free addiction counselling for those at risk.

as for the assumption that this is about indigenous people i find that amusing. every alcoholic i have ever known (and i teach rsa to at risk students) has been caucasian.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it might of come across racist but when you keep bringing it up, the thread will get closed.

Where I am talking about is Mansfield Park SA... I witnessed a murder here with about 7 aboriginal youths. Since then my judgement of them hasn't been the same and I can't apologize for that because its a normal fear it has nothing to do with racism.

I agree with BDL because if you witness something it sticks with you. Until you encounter a positive experience it can not change your attitude about the subject.

Thanks
    Reviews
    indigenous people also have far more risks with alcohol because they are genetically unable to process alcohol in the same manner a white person can. Has nothing to do with the volume of people doing it. But as indigenous people make up a small 2% of the population. You're infact more likely to come into contact with a white person with a drinking problem. but you know.. best be picking on those darkies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ermergerd For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Low riskMales: up to 6 on any one day, no more than 3 days per weekFemales: up to 4 on any one day, no more than 3 days per weekRiskyMales: 7 to 10 on any one dayFemales: 5 to 6 on any one dayHigh riskMales: 11 or more on any one dayFemales: 7 or more on any one day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    oh jesus mansfield park, that is enough to scare the pants off anybody. Btw, my dad discovered a body up north, too. She was killed by a white man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    gh
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yes it might of come across racist but when you keep bringing it up, the thread will get closed.

Where I am talking about is Mansfield Park SA... I witnessed a murder here with about 7 aboriginal youths. Since then my judgement of them hasn't been the same and I can't apologize for that because its a normal fear it has nothing to do with racism.

I agree with BDL because if you witness something it sticks with you. Until you encounter a positive experience it can not change your attitude about the subject.
    Although I can understand why you feel that way...it IS still racism though. If a bunch of 50 year olds murdered someone would you feel the same about 50 all 50 year olds. Or a bunch of caucasians did it...would you fear ALL caucasians?

It's about logical thinking. You may not be able to help feeling uneasy around indigenous but you need to understand that your feelings are irrational as these people could have easiy have been another group and then you'd have to go round fearing them too. And you need to face facts...it is racist to feel that way, however unconscious it is, but maybe acknowledging it for what it is may help??

Just a thought

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (06-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Benji- found it. I haven't read through the whole document but it looks like it might be linked to the one I have here sitting next to me that I was reading, except that my one is 550+ pages long LOL. And yes you are correct, some types of alcohol consumption is similar between Indigenous and non-Indigenous, but the risky and high-risk stats are higher for Indigenous, and they tend to be the most problematic.

http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/Down...?id=6442458685

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Benji  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post

hey, I don't necessarily think you are a terrible person. And I genuinely believe that you don't think you are racist.

I'm really sorry for your experience, while it might explain why you developed the views that you have, it doesn't stop them being racist views.

I'm not trying to personally insult you, I just think that it is much better to identify and challenge racism where we see it as the person may not be able to recognise it within themselves, because it's all they are used to.

It's an opportunity to learn that just because we are used perceiving things in a certain way, it's not the only way or even the most accurate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Limiting sale of alcohol?

There's actually a fair bit of psychological research that confirms and attempts to understand the process by which people rely on past experience to form generations and stereotypes as a form of self protection.

It's a human behaviour, unfortunately can have negative consequences