Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Of course it isn't.

However when you see an Indigenous Australian in your yard (getting water) and your first & only conclusion is that they are there 'to bash you'.. It's not fact. It's racism.

There's a real difference between that and pointing out the statistical incidence of alcohol abuse in a given community don't you think?
    Oh of course. Those kind of comments are racist for sure.
    I was trying to steer well clear of those though LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    If there's a huge drinking problem why only limit casks?
    My MIL was telling me they might also become more expensive. Casks are cheaper, you get much more alcohol in a cask than you do in a bottle of wine and it would be far cheaper by the litre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My MIL was telling me they might also become more expensive. Casks are cheaper, you get much more alcohol in a cask than you do in a bottle of wine and it would be far cheaper by the litre.
    Oh of course - duh! Sorry my head isn't really in the game today for some reason LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    http://www.creativespirits.info/abor...ol-consumption

I actually think alcohol is a problem within Australian culture in general, no matter the colour of our skin. People from a caucasian background have been drinking alcohol for a long, long, long time. Wheras the Indigenous have only been drinking it since the invasion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For the record, I rarely drink so couldn't give two sweet goats about restrictions on the sale of alcohol personally but my mother is a (white Australian) alcoholic and her juice of choice is cask wine. I honestly do not believe that this kind of thing would restrict her drinking. She would probably just buy 2 casks on her next trip

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Benji- yes from what I've read, Indigenous people are less likely than non-Indigenous to drink, but Indigenous people are more likely to drink at risky or high-risk levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Benji- yes from what I've read, Indigenous people are less likely than non-Indigenous to drink, but Indigenous people are more likely to drink at risky or high-risk levels.
    What is a risky level? According to my cask wine at home LOL a safe level is less than two glasses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What is a risky level? According to my cask wine at home LOL a safe level is less than two glasses.
    Hmmm couldn't actually find a definition for that! Will have to keep looking...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Benji  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    15% Percentage of Aboriginal Australians who are long-term, risky or high risk drinkers. Same figure for non-Indigenous Australians: 14% [27].

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Limiting sale of alcohol?

Indigenous Australians aged 35–44 years were most likely to report drinking at long- term risky/high-risk levels in the last week (20%) (Table 2.19.1).
    • Indigenous Australians were more likely than non-Indigenous Australians to report drinking at short-term risky/high-risk levels at least once in the last 12 months across all age groups, although the levels are close for the 18-24 year age group.
    • A significantly higher proportion of Indigenous Australians aged 25–34 and 35–44 years drank at long-term risky/high-risk levels in the last week than non-Indigenous Australians of the same age.