Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FindMyLunch View Post
    Responsible Service of Alcohol legally mandates that establishments take measures to limit the chances of people becoming intoxicated. This store may have it in their house policy to do this by prohibiting cask wine before a certain time.
    Is it their responsibility to assume how much they are going to drink? and at what rate? I thought maybe if they were intoxicated they could refuse service. But to assume what someone is going to do is just wrong.

I might be heartless, who knows, but if i ran a liquor store unless people were making a nuisance in my store i wouldn't care. If they were intoxicated when buying the alcohol yeah i would refuse. But it's no ones business other then the people who paid for the goods what happens when they leave.

Imagine a check out person denying teenagers condoms because they don't believe in teenage/premarital sex.

It's no ones business (unless they feel something illegal is happening)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowCrazyCool For This Useful Post:

delirium  (05-12-2012),halloweendee  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FindMyLunch is correct as far as I know.

Personally it wouldn't bother me. Firstly because I dont use or drink cask wine. And secondly because alcohol can be a big social problem in some areas and the 'greater good' rule should be applied. If limiting or stopping those particular sales is better for the greater good in some way then surely OP and others should be happy enough to comply.

Sometimes living in a community means we follow some rules that don't directly benefit us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    FindMyLunch is correct as far as I know.

Personally it wouldn't bother me. Firstly because I dont use or drink cask wine. And secondly because alcohol can be a big social problem in some areas and the 'greater good' rule should be applied. If limiting or stopping those particular sales is better for the greater good in some way then surely OP and others should be happy enough to comply.

Sometimes living in a community means we follow some rules that don't directly benefit us.

Maybe the bottle shop is actually trying to help?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (06-12-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Nmgb;6945486] Why should they have to make the extra trip just because others can't drink responsibly?/QUOTE]

Why should I have to travel at the speed limit just because others cant control thier cars at high speeds?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst it might slightly annoy me if I was doing the shopping and wanted some for the cupboard, I can't say it would be a big issue for me.

If I was aware of a drinking problem in my area, I would probably be happy local businesses were doing what they can to help. No, it won't fix the problem, but neither will everyone ignoring it.

Now that you know the rule is there, perhaps you can schedule your goon purchasing expeditions accordingly?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (05-12-2012),Luna Lovegood  (06-12-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmgb View Post
    Why should they have to make the extra trip just because others can't drink responsibly?
    Why should I have to travel at the speed limit just because others cant control thier cars at high speeds?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

ermergerd  (05-12-2012),Gothel  (06-12-2012),HugsBunny  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Limiting sale of alcohol?

There is a huge drinking problem in my area (where you can't get cask wine before 11am). They just get it the night before or get a longneck etc. Or simply wait until after 11am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    There is a huge drinking problem in my area (where you can't get cask wine before 11am). They just get it the night before or get a longneck etc. Or simply wait until after 11am.
    I find the 11am rule even weirder. Don't bottle shops only open at 10am anyway?

FWIW, I don't drink cask wine and understand why there is a rule - just found it interesting that a particular type was restricted, especially a store that is in a shopping centre next to the grocery store so I'd imagine the majority of customers would be like PP mentioned, grabbing a cask on their way out of the shops for cooking, that night's party's punch bowl or a nana getting her fortnights supply.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Limiting sale of alcohol?

I highly doubt that's going to achieve anything, if they desperately wanted to drink before said time they'd just buy another type of alcohol, what a joke. If they really think it's so much of an issue all grog shops shouldn't open until 4 pm. I'd be so bloody annoyed if our local did this, I love my cask wine and often will buy at whatever time I'm out if I'm planning on having a drink that night to avoid further trips, if my store did I prob just get vodka instead!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's not for the greater good of the community it's so the local councils and bottle shops "look" like they are doing something about it. They are only covering their butts.
    Its like what aldi have done in my area they don't sell alcohol on weekends after 6pm. So by 5pm all the locals are stocking up.
    It's not because aldi care it's because the council wouldnt give them a license unless they did that. And in turn the council look like they are doing something about it.
    You can't blame liquor stores for people's excessive drinking.
    Its like blaming macdonalds for obesity.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

MsTruth  (05-12-2012)