+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Vaccinations

Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    As for your daughter's teacher, I'm horrified, frankly, that someone who works with children would be so irresponsible not to be protected against something preventable.
    How do you know the teacher wasn't vaccinated??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Originally Posted by SeaShanty
    As for your daughter's teacher, I'm horrified, frankly, that someone who works with children would be so irresponsible not to be protected against something preventable.

I thought it was required if you worked with kids. I also was told if your vaccinated for it you can still get it, carry it around and pass it on sometimes without having symptoms maybe this is what happened.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vaccinations

Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    You know what? Every time I have one of my children vaccinated I worry that they're going to be that 1-in-1,000,000 child who has the awful side-effect. But I still do it because I trust modern medical science and all of the countless hours of research and the billions of dollars that go into areas such as vaccines and disease prevention and trust that the experts have weighed up the pros and cons and come to a more informed decision than I could ever have.

The next time you're afraid about something like immunisation, TALK TO AN EXPERT - DO NOT ASK ADVICE FROM THE TERRIFIED PARENT SITTING NEXT TO YOU AND DO NOT TRY TO INTERPRET COMPLEX MEDICAL LITERATURE OUT OF CONTEXT. I cannot stress enough how irresponsible it is to be spouting statistics and theories on such matters when you're not trained to do so.

Please, if you have any respect and love for the other parents of this world, STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION. If you've got your own personal concerns about immunisation and want people to be truly informed before they vaccinate, the responsible thing to do is send them to an expert such as a paediatrician or an immunologist with whom they can actually, physically discuss BOTH sides of the debate and receive accurate, current information. Referring someone to a website on which one or two paediatricians - or worse, people who AREN'T medical professionals - are quoted saying "don't vaccinate for X reasons" isn't fair because it's not giving parents enough information or the opportunity to ask questions.

Big big big thank you!! This is exactly what I always want to say to people about immunisation. Google can be your friend, but it can also be your enemy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Err...you're right - I don't know. Sorry folks, should've have jumped to that conclusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveHeart View Post
    Big big big thank you!! This is exactly what I always want to say to people about immunisation. Google can be your friend, but it can also be your enemy.
    You're welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Vaccinations

I haven't read all of the posts but I have a serious question to ask, not rhetorical.

Firstly i want to start by saying vaxed my DD on time each time and I'm not here to debate if the link between vaccination and autism exists as I haven't done enough research into it to make a comment (and quite frankly you can't make a decision on it based on reading just one or two articles about one point of view - you need to research both side before deciding what you think to be true and correct)

But let's just say it was medically and scientifically proven that vaccines (which ever one it is) can cause autism, I'm uncertain why there is such a fear of autism that you would be willing not to vaccine your child?????

I mean it must be difficult as a parent to look after an artistic child and I know it would better for any child to not have autism, but what would you do if your child contracted an illness or disease and dies of it because you chose not to vaccine them!? Think, oh well, at least my child didn't have autism!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, how would you feel!? I personally would rather have a child with autism than a dead child!

Just my opinion. I don't judge parents who don't as it is their decision whether I understand or agree with their reasonings or not, this is just where I sit on the subject.
    Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 07-12-2012 at 20:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    I haven't read all of the posts but I have a serious question to ask, not rhetorical.

Firstly i want to start by saying vaxed my DD on time each time and I'm not here to debate if the link between vaccination and autism exists as I haven't done enough research into it to make a comment (and quite frankly you can't make a decision on it based on reading just one or two articles about one point of view - you need to research both side before deciding what you think to be true and correct)

But I'm not sure why there is such a fear of autism that you would be willing not to vaccine your child?????

I mean it must be difficult as a parent to look after an artistic child and i know it would better for any child to not have autism, but what would you do if our child contracted an illness or disease and dies of it
    I think you would have to deal with an autistic child full time to understand the fear of something that can cause it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Vaccinations

Cuddles if the link to mmr causing autism was real I would not vaccinate my child against mmr,

Maybe that sounds horrible but I would not knowing inject my child.with something that would cause them a.life time of struggle,

Again.that is if the 'link' was real, its not though unvaxx'd kids get autism too

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cuddles - in all honesty if it was proven that the mmr could cause autism and the chances of that were HIGHER than the chance of enchephalitis etc it would depend on what type of the spectrum. What's the chances of them developing full on autism vs asperger's and the severity.

It'd be a complex decision to make based on probability.

High probability for Autism (the worst one) higher than the disease - no I would NOT immunise.

Slight probability of a few charactistics on the spectrum of Asperger's lower than the disease - yes I would.

Do you see what I'm saying? It would be hard to answer yes or no without the scenario being clarified.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vaccinations

Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post

But let's just say it was medically and scientifically proven that vaccines (which ever one it is) can cause autism, I'm uncertain why there is such a fear of autism that you would be willing not to vaccine your child?????

I mean it must be difficult as a parent to look after an artistic child and I know it would better for any child to not have autism, but what would you do if your child contracted an illness or disease and dies of it because you chose not to vaccine them!? Think, oh well, at least my child didn't have autism!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, how would you feel!? I personally would rather have a child with autism than a dead child!

Just my opinion. I don't judge parents who don't as it is their decision whether I understand or agree with their reasonings or not, this is just where I sit on the subject.
    As horrible as it sounds, I'm sure there are parents of severely affected autistic children out there who deep down wish there child had suffered a physical illness/death rather than a lifelong struggle with autism.

It sounds as if you have had limited exposure to ASD and maybe don't quite comprehend the impact on many many families.

My nephew will never live a 'normal' functioning life. He will never speak. He will never be able to toilet himself. He will most likely end up as a young adult in a nursing home. It's truly heartbreaking. Every day he suffers, and so does his family.