+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How do people who smack feel about this:

    http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org...ib_states.html

    If you take the time to read many of the articles there are a lot of analogies between the treatment of adults and children and why comparisons are valid. And these are not crackpots.

    If smacking became illegal in this country (including a "tap") would you continue?
    I think the government needs to keep their noses out of families and stop telling people how to parent unless there is abuse. Some people spank and for some I am sure it works some people dont and I am sure that works but I know all children are different. Giving the government control how we parent our children is a slippery slope.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I think the government needs to keep their noses out of families and stop telling people how to parent unless there is abuse. Some people spank and for some I am sure it works some people dont and I am sure that works but I know all children are different. Giving the government control how we parent our children is a slippery slope.
    But not if you out smacking on the same level as assault (which these papers argue). If what you say is correct then the government should also stay out of people's marriages meaning husbands can do whatever they like to their wives (and vice versa). What this is arguing (and 33 countries also accept) is smacking children is on the same level as wife beating. Therefore the government does have a place.

    It's obviously a giant logic leap for a lot of people to make, and I accept a lot of people wouldn't like it. It's very interesting though as more and more countries go along this path. New Zealand banned corporal punishment in 2007!

    ETA and we've travelled this path before so before people get upset about what constitues corporal punishment itincludes smacking children.
    Last edited by Sonja; 07-12-2012 at 00:23.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    trishalishous  (07-12-2012)

  4. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Posts
    8,990
    Thanks
    3,308
    Thanked
    1,659
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Replace 'child' with any other person (ie mother, husband etc) and youll get your answer.

  5. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    casino
    Posts
    1,958
    Thanks
    2,916
    Thanked
    333
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Smacking your child

    Ok so for arguements sake what is generally considered a smack or tap ? IMO open hand on bum not hard enough to mark or bruise but firm enough to show u mean business when nesecary.

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But not if you out smacking on the same level as assault (which these papers argue). If what you say is correct then the government should also stay out of people's marriages meaning husbands can do whatever they like to their wives (and vice versa). What this is arguing (and 33 countries also accept) is smacking children is on the same level as wife beating. Therefore the government does have a place.

    It's obviously a giant logic leap for a lot of people to make, and I accept a lot of people wouldn't like it. It's very interesting though as more and more countries go along this path. New Zealand banned corporal punishment in 2007!
    I see what you are saying but we are responsible for raising children to become good law abiding citizens, who respect people property etc. I dont think all kids will respond to reasoning, and if a parent feels they need to give their kid a little pop on the bottom to fix a problem they should be able too without fear of going to jail or getting into trouble. Comparing children to adults is silly IMO there are many things we can do with children we cant do with adults.

  7. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamoe View Post
    Ok so for arguements sake what is generally considered a smack or tap ? IMO open hand on bum not hard enough to mark or bruise but firm enough to show u mean business when nesecary.
    I think a smack/ spanking is just that

  8. #147
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a house.......
    Posts
    7,804
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked
    741
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can say that I think you are wrong because to me you ARE. Hitting, to me is not on the same level as confiscating a toy. My point may be moot to you, or to someone who uses smacking as a tool to discipline but to those of us who don't think smacking is necessary, it is not moot.

    Can you tell me some other things that we don't do to adults but we do to kids that are on the same parameter of hitting to gain compliance? I'll maybe start to see your point then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    No I got your point. You said that you wouldn't hit an adult because it'd be assault. Want me to quote you?



    And I'm saying that there's a lot of things you wouldn't do to an adult/child that you wouldn't do to the other. Therefore making your point moot. You have now adjusted your point because you realised it was weak, that's fine, but please don't make out that I missed your point. I got it thanks. I know what assult is, I know what stealing is, I know what deprivation of liberty is etc etc. And yet we confiscate toys (steal) restrain out children (deprivation of liberty) touch them without their permission, which could also be assult too. THAT'S my point. And yes it IS the end because you can't say I'm wrong. You can do some things to children that you can't do to adults (and vice versa) right? Yes you can...everyone knows this. So I say...time to make a different point...bring out some research or something but don't say "Oh you wouldn't hit an adult cos that'd be assault" because that point is weak - the end!
    Again, you may think the point is weak because you smack- I think it's strong because I don't hit.
    And I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not 'the end'- but more of a 'to be continued........" (Sorry, lame attempt at lightening the thread)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

    trishalishous  (07-12-2012)

  10. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,157
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked
    765
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What about pinching? Dh used to get pinched discreetly when home and out in public! He said that and 'the look' was enough to stop him!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

    jagamoe  (07-12-2012)

  12. #149
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,687
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked
    4,057
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    And that's great. But I'm sure that a lot of people who smack can tell you that smacking doesn't happen in a vacuum. Most use it like me as 'A' tool in the toolbox of parenting. I'm big for natural consequence myself so that is my 'go-to' technique vast majority of the time. However there are some instances where smack is warranted. However, it is never used as the first port of call and it is not used in a vacuum. You don't use it...but maybe there's something else you do that I wouldn't. We're all different and we all use different techniques to teach and keep our children safe. And as long as no one is abusing their children then there's nothing wrong with any of it
    But I do think it's abuse and so do several more progressive countries. So there is something wrong with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How do people who smack feel about this:

    http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org...ib_states.html

    If you take the time to read many of the articles there are a lot of analogies between the treatment of adults and children and why comparisons are valid. And these are not crackpots.

    If smacking became illegal in this country (including a "tap") would you continue?

  13. #150
    threechooks's Avatar
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked
    420
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    When my DS started crawling i just removed him and redirected his attention to something else every time he went to touch things he wasn't supposed to (the water cooler was his main target!) and said "not for Elijah to touch" he tried maybe once or twice a day for about a week then never went near it again ( at 18 months he would point to it and say "bubba no touch"!)
    let me tell you this type of cooperative child is rare. My first child was like this. I never needed to smack. Then the second one came along, completely different personality. I haven't smacked her yet at 18 mths but i can see why parents with a high sprited child like my second monkey would.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

    jagamoe  (07-12-2012),Missbean  (07-12-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Smacking
    By october in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 07:05
  2. Smacking - I hate it, but I do it :(
    By breakthemould in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-04-2012, 08:43
  3. Smacking
    By Jarylee in forum General Chat
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 21:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue Bank
Cryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 12 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian families. To discuss the benefits of banking your baby's cord blood & tissue stem cells call us on 1800 220 410.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!